+ Reply to Thread

Default Baseboards and the desert recluse spider!

We had laminate floors put in half of our house. When the installers put the baseboards back, they put them back in their original position. However, previously we had tall carpet and not thin laminate. As such, this left a gap along the entire wall at the base of the baseboards where the laminate was installed, sometimes as much as 1/4."

We didn't care much but now with a baby daughter, and with an influx of what appear to be the desert recluse, not to mention scorpions, earwigs, and cotton bugs, we're anxious to close the gap.

1) We can lower the baseboards to the floor; however, this will show a line where the original caulking was done on the top and also show a paint line. I really don't want to paint a 1/4" strip of wall space around my entire house if I can help it.

2) We can install all new baseboards. However, this is costly and I am hoping for a less costly solution.

3) We can't put a 1/4 round as our baseboard are really curved at the bottom and, as such, the round won't be snug at all. This will only create another gap problem.

4) We can caulk at the base of the baseboards???? And that's the question. I know you caulk at the top to close the gap between the wall and the baseboards, but can you caulk the bottom? And if so, which type of caulk, which would adhere to both the laminate and the painted baseboards?

I'm really hoping for the caulking solution.

Any help greatly appreciated! Walking into my baby daughter's room to find a quarter size mean looking spider just a foot away is really causing sleepless nights! (And, yes, we spray for insects but that just drives the smart buggers through the holes in the baseboards into the home!)

Thanks!
    Desert_rat

Default Re: Baseboards and the desert recluse spider!

Could you post a pic or two of the baseboards in question?

Would likely be helpful in offering up potentially viable solutions.

Default Re: Baseboards and the desert recluse spider!

I would suggest you use silicon caulk under the base board. It will remain flexible and allow for movement of the flooring. Then you can dress it up by installing thin strip moulding along the bottom cut at 45 degrees on both sides (see picture below). Nail it to the baseboard only not the floor.
    Jack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	3.4 KB 
ID:	1536  
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb