+ Reply to Thread

Default Can one service water heaters with sealed combustion chamber

Can one service water heaters with a sealed combustion chamber?

The main burner won't stay lit, so I called the gas company (I am on their "guardian plan").

But the tech said I need to replace the water heater and he did not do any service.

The manufacturer says that (i) the thermocouple can be replaced, (ii) air intake screen can be cleaned (iii) flame arrestor opening can be unblocked (iv) defective gas control can be replaced etc.

What are my options?

I don't like taking cold showers. Certainly not for this reason.

Default Re: Can one service water heaters with sealed combustion chamber

Quote Originally Posted by DaudSharif View Post
    Can one service water heaters with a sealed combustion chamber?

The manufacturer says that (i) the thermocouple can be replaced, (ii) air intake screen can be cleaned (iii) flame arrestor opening can be unblocked (iv) defective gas control can be replaced etc.
    As you discovered the answer is yes ... the water heater can be serviced.

I would recommend you carefully read what this " gaurdian service " contract actually says.... does it included the replacement of parts to bring the heater to working performance?
    If it does include the "service " of the water heater then call the gas company back to inform them of what their technician said and they should be repairing the heater ... if stated in the contract.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Default Re: Can one service water heaters with sealed combustion chamber

I agree with Canuk, if the guardian plan is a service contract push for service. Next check the owners manual on the water heater or the manufacturer's web site for servicing procedures.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb