+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: "Heavy" odor in one room

week three hot humid day sun bearing on the wall the smell came back must be in the plaster
    It sounds like we're chasing the same thing (do you have a window involved?). I definitely think it is originating here, at least coming into the room, at the window. Please update if you figure out anything!!

You may have figured it out. It sounds like the odor might be the smell of rot coming out of the wall. Whatever caused the original rot that you repaired may still be allowing water into the wall still and the sun & heat may be bringing out the smell.
    I'm thinking you are right (had not considered wood rot could smell so foul!), and hoping it is the actual sash and not in the walls (the stops and sides are not painted and have no rot like the sashes. Today with lower temp and less intense sun, the room was normal smelling, but I moved the sash and the odor seemed to escape only then). I so appreciate your input - this is quite frustrating!! Thanks!

If you think the smell is coming from the window, but the window sill/sash appears ok, it may be worth taking some trim off & removing some drywall or plaster to get into the wall to examine it.
    The rot, if that's what it is, could be at the floor plate as well as just under the window. Water has a way of ending up where it wants to.

mine comes out electrical outlet and from base board heat vents
    " HEAT IS OFF STINKS ONLY IN SUMMER"