+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face "Heavy" odor in one room

I am trying to identify and get rid of a horrible smell in our 1889 home. ONLY on warm, sunny afternoons (not morning or evenings), ONLY in the dining room/attached bath (that originally was the kitchen/pantry), a "heavy" smell consumes these two rooms and I can't tell its origin. I smell the walls (plastered, then papered, then texturing, then newer paint), the central A/C vents, behind the dropped ceiling (put in to hide the black central air flexible "pipes") -- NOTHING smells like the air. It is carpeted over two layers of old carpet over two layers of vinyl on the original planks,,, but again it doesn't seem to be from any one particular place in the room. The original chimney is behind one wall, and a stain (creosote??)bleeds through, but I just put good oilbased stain killer over it and the stain is gone but no change to the odor problem. I would almost say it is an "oily" type of smell only because it permeates and doesn't cause headaches but smells like it should! Has anyone had anything like this? Any hints on where to start? Thanks for your help!!

Default Re: "Heavy" odor in one room

I would suspect ther carpet especially if the sun is coming in a window & hitting the carpet.
    I would guess mold, an old spill of something or a pet urinated (cats usually) in a favorite spot and the heat & humidity is activating it.
    Besides I've never heard of carpeting over two old layers of carpet.
    Five layers of old flooring should probably come up and a new fresh one put down.
    Last edited by ed21; 08-17-2008 at 08:28 PM.

Thank you for your insight... I did rip out the flooring in the small bath/pantry (a very long job - the total layers equal about one inch thick!!)) but I haven't done the large room because of the cost -- but perhaps I need to save my pennies for this soon. However, even with the new bathroom floor I smell it pretty strongly there - could be because the rooms are connected and the air is shared via an open transom? Does this kind of a smell corrolate with mold or whatever in flooring? It is not a pet smell, but I don't know what mold smells like... Thanks!

i don't know what a heavy smell is but i'd check the wax ring seal on the toilet in the bathroom you mentioned it smelled the worse near the floor there. maybe some plastic vent from there has a broken connection and is moving in the middle day heat?

Default New Information!!! Paint odor ??

Thanks for the posts -- after thinking more about what I was reading on this post (thank you!!)..... today, a hot, sunny day, I really searched for the smell and discovered the one original double-hung window receiving all of the sun and heat is the culprit. The place I was able to really stick my nose on well was the bottom of the upper/top of the lower sash. Although these are original window sashes, complete with some repaired wood rot and lots of fixin', I did repaint the sashes in the last year or so (well after I began noticing but couldn't place the odor). I did not take the sashes apart, however.

Now I'm wondering if either the new paint (Porter), some old paint underneath, or something else can cause this severe of an odor??? I didn't know old paint would smell over a year after the last coat was applied...

Any thoughts or knowledge about windows, paint and its reaction to sun and heat would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks so much!

you might have a tared backer board under your siding or behind bricks when heats up and humid you would get a very lovely odor that permiates everywhere at least i did smells oily/greasy or like an attic

Did you do anything to correct this? What is a tared backer board, please? Thanks in advance!

tar backer board could de a 1/2 thick or thicker when its cut it looks like chiped card board compressed with a black tar like substance embedded to hold it all together. front or back view it just looks like a black fiber board. i just had home foam injected don't smell tar now but still have foam curing smell. to soon to tell but i hope that smell goes away!!! 2 weeks now

week three hot humid day sun bearing on the wall the smell came back must be in the plaster

Default Re: New Information!!! Paint odor ??

Quote Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
    Thanks for the posts -- after thinking more about what I was reading on this post (thank you!!)..... today, a hot, sunny day, I really searched for the smell and discovered the one original double-hung window receiving all of the sun and heat is the culprit. The place I was able to really stick my nose on well was the bottom of the upper/top of the lower sash. Although these are original window sashes, complete with some repaired wood rot and lots of fixin', I did repaint the sashes in the last year or so (well after I began noticing but couldn't place the odor). I did not take the sashes apart, however.

Now I'm wondering if either the new paint (Porter), some old paint underneath, or something else can cause this severe of an odor??? I didn't know old paint would smell over a year after the last coat was applied...

Any thoughts or knowledge about windows, paint and its reaction to sun and heat would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks so much!
    You may have figured it out. It sounds like the odor might be the smell of rot coming out of the wall. Whatever caused the original rot that you repaired may still be allowing water into the wall still and the sun & heat may be bringing out the smell.