+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy hooking washing machine drain in kitchen

what is the best way to hook up a washing machine in the kitchen
    I am concerned about the drain ??

Default Re: hooking washing machine drain in kitchen

I believe the minimum size required for newer washers is 2", so it is not advisable to hook it to the kitchen drain which is probably 1". You should run the drain through the floor, with a trap and connect to the soil pipe or a drain the is at least as large. It should also be vented or at least a Studor valve properly installed.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Kitchens are actually 1-1/2", but regardless, still undersized for a laundry drain.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

besides the fact its illeagal to tie ANYTHING into a kitchen sink drain....at least in MA.

Quote Originally Posted by murphmgh View Post
    besides the fact its illeagal to tie ANYTHING into a kitchen sink drain....at least in MA.
    *** really? even a disposer or a dishwasher? even with an air gap? how about a second kitchen sink can't you share a drain trap with a double sink?

OP, i thiink it depends on the size of your drain branch and your venting. you mabe should trace out your drain and vent plumbing then provide the info with the question.

all these applications are "pre trap",your not making sense,is he looking to come off the strainer tail peice?? thats even stupidor but that what your responce suggest

Quote Originally Posted by murphmgh View Post
    Hi Murph,

Do you know what section in the mass plumbing code I can refer to when talking to my plumber? I had a someone come in and hook up a laundry facility. They decided to go this route and I am in the same situation as the poster above. I am getting the feeling they didn't know what they were doing...

thanks