+ Reply to Thread

Talking insulating attic ceiling

I am starting to create a 3rd bedroom in the attic and was wondering what was the best way to insulate the ceiling before I drywall? Should I use the air channels and insulate over them?
    Thanks
    Scott

Default Re: insulating attic ceiling

OK, I'll bite. What's an air channel???

To insulate the attic, buy batts in a roll, the same width as between the rafters or trusses. It'll either be about 16" or 24" wide. If you have rafters, just follow them from the peak of the roof, down to the floor of the room. If you have trusses, staple them to the bottom of the ceiling joist (bottom chord of the rafter). The batts will have a paper tab on each side. All you do is staple that to the underside of the rafter/truss, and you're in business. Make sure the vapor barrier is on the inside of the insulation when you install it.

Good Luck.

Default Re: insulating attic ceiling

Not sure where you live but since your doing the job yourself be sure to get the best "R" value for your money. What I mean is don't cut corners by sticking in R-19 when your area calls for R-38. The money you spend now will help with heating/AC bills in the future.

Be sure to wear protective gear as well.