+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GFCI Headache

Default GFCI Headache

I'm assisting a friend in adding a solarium using a partially existing room. The room formally housed a hot tub so rather than run new wiring, we decided to use the 50 amp breaker and line that was in place and we added a 6 breaker sub panel. By the way, for the record, I'm not a novice when it comes to residential wiring. Here's my problem. I want to run a string of recepticles off of one GFCI so I ran the #12 wire using a 20 amp breaker to the first box. Simple, right? Wrong. The recepticle is only about 2 feet from the sub-panel and when I put the GFCI in and turn on the power the reset on the GFCI immediately pops and won't reset. From the sub-panel to the recepticle, everything is right. Any ideas? I know the GFCI will trip with a neutral short so is it possible that another recepticle in the house has the common and "hot reversed backfeeding through the box. Help, I'm stumped.

Default Re: GFCI Headache

Quote Originally Posted by Rondud View Post
    we added a 6 breaker sub panel. .
    Is the neutral bus isolated from the ground in the sub panel?

The neutral in a sub panel must be isolated from ground .... the neutral can only be bonded to ground in one location ... the main panel.

just a thought.
    Last edited by canuk; 08-15-2008 at 06:08 PM.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

The subpanel is just like a service panel without the main breaker. It has two "hot wires off the 50 amp breaker at the main and one neutral bar.

Does your sub panel also have a ground bus ?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

It could just be a bad GCFI. Check the hot terminals, if you have 120 VAC, try changing the GCFI.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

As far as a seperate ground bus goes, I guess I'm not sure what would designate it as a seperate bus. It is set up just like a main breaker box with two feed lnes and a ground bar with a large lug for the ground from the main breaker. Its a Square D if that helps.

Temporarily, I have put a 20 amp recepticle in and the voltage off each leg is right at 120 volts. I guess it is possible that I could have a bad GFCI but the reset stays in with the power off.

The GFCI has an electronic trip, so with the power off the trip is disabled.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb