+ Reply to Thread

Default Great new site for finding contractors

Hello - I just wanted to share the name of a great website that I came across when I was looking for a contractor to redo my bathroom. The site is called "ServiceSpider.com" and it works a little bit like Ebay in the sense that it is an auction site. Homeowners who need work done to their properties post a description of their job with pictures and then local contractors come in and put their bids in for the jobs. At the end of the auction you select your contractor of choice based on price, reputation or whatever your preferences are. It worked really well for me and the site is totally free of charge.

Default Re: Great new site for finding contractors

Quote Originally Posted by smal View Post
    If you live in Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, or Atlanta, another great resource for finding contractors and other local resources is www.homesavvi.com. The site is still in beta mode, but you can really get a feel for the contractors and other professionals on it.
    Folks, you decide if you are being scammed by the people operating the site and they are trying to collect money from any contractor willing to place an add fee.

I can not imagine a contractor doing a bid just from a picture.Way to many variables.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

What percent is the commission these days for contractors? I just want to know if I'm getting a fair deal with a contractor I've consulted.
    Interior Logistics is the leading Hidden Content , our Commercial Interior Designer provides creative interior design solution for Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by mandylee216 View Post
    What percent is the commission these days for contractors? I just want to know if I'm getting a fair deal with a contractor I've consulted.
    Who cares. What's important is that the price is acceptable for the quantity and quality of the work.

People are far too worried about what the profit margins are of a contractor, instead of worrying about the quality of craftsmanship and the integrity of the contractor. When was the last time you were worried about the commission your mechanic is making, or the commission that your realtor is charging, or that your doctor is getting?

The point is, neither the price being charged nor the amount the contractor is profiting has anything to do with the quality or integrity of the work or the individual. The same can be said in the other examples above. Worry about finding a well respected tradesman. Shop the exact same bid to at least three different companies, then make your decision based on the reputation of the individual and how you feel about them, not the cost of the bid. Any flagrant discrepancies between the bids should require an explanation because the cheap guy may have left something out, the expensive guy may foresee something the others didn't. It's up to you to ask questions, then use your gut instinct as to whom will be the best to work with on your project.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Interesting. I'm a big fan of Angie's List. Always a good coupon code out there if you want to start a new membership.

spruce is very right, i work of company that specialized in high end renovations doing complete remodels, putting additions on along with building custom homes which are designed specifically for the homeowner by an architect. we charge more than a good 60% of the renovators in town but we hold ourselves to a extremely hight level of craftsmanship, use higher quality products, a crew that consists of a master framer, master cabinet maker, master siding installer/ window and door technician, and trim carpenter who are all very skilled in other areas of carpentry. not to mention we have warrenty our work against defective products for 1 year and structural issues for 5 years. all this comes with a price..

you can get a guy that charges next to nothing however 98% of the time you wont be happy with the finished product and if a problem does arise you wont be able to get ahold of the guy to fix the problem
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    spruce is very right, i work of company that specialized in high end renovations doing complete remodels, putting additions on along with building custom homes which are designed specifically for the homeowner by an architect. we charge more than a good 60% of the renovators in town but we hold ourselves to a extremely hight level of craftsmanship, use higher quality products, a crew that consists of a master framer, master cabinet maker, master siding installer/ window and door technician, and trim carpenter who are all very skilled in other areas of carpentry. not to mention we have warrenty our work against defective products for 1 year and structural issues for 5 years. all this comes with a price..

you can get a guy that charges next to nothing however 98% of the time you wont be happy with the finished product and if a problem does arise you wont be able to get ahold of the guy to fix the problem
    Ain't that the truth.

Every job consists of materials and labor. Since consumers can't do much about the cost of materials, they try to save unreasonably on labor. So they squeeze the contractor, they hire unskilled labor, and they pay in cash. But guess what: in most cases, you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    ....in most cases, you get what you pay for.
    I like to put it this way: You won't get what you don't pay for. That means the cheapest price gets you the worst of everything. The highest price may not be the best, but the odds are that they will be far better than the cheapest one. My quality is not open to negotiation; my price is fixed too. It's as good a deal as you can get even if it ain't the cheapest and that's exactly why it's such a good deal

Phil