+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Water puddles on porch steps

My porch steps retain puddles of water after a good rain. The puddles sit right in the center of each step and span over half the step. This concerns me since that condition will become really dangerous in the winter months by creating "Ice Steps". What can I do to drain off the water on the steps?

Should I use a leveling compound?
    Should I drill holes in the step...or gouge little ditches?

Thanks,

Arnolfo

Default Re: Water puddles on porch steps

My problem is the steps were installed upside down, thus the step curves up and not down.

Default Re: Water puddles on porch steps

Are the steps wood or composite or are they concrete? If they are wood you could remove the steps and place shims on the stringers so they pitch forward so the water will run off. If you don't want to remove the steps you could drill holes so they drain. You just have to be sure to keep the holes clean. If they clog up with leaves and dirt you will have water sitting on the stairs again. As for concrete maybe a skim coat that pitches toward the front. Not really sure if that would adhere to well. Another thing to consider if this was recently done and you had someone come in to do it they should come back and correct the problem. Hope this helps you out.