+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ugly ceiling

Default ugly ceiling

I have inherited the house my father built over 50 years ago. It is a small, simple one story cottage in essentially good shape. I want to replace the ugly old ceiling tiles and low ceilings. Is it possible to remove the celing tiles, the insulation above them, and the partial floor in the attic, and then insulate and finish the roof, eliminating the attic? I am willing to leave the rafters exposed, and either just paint or somehow cover them. I don't want to make any structural changes. I have absolutely no clue how to go about this and would love to hear any comments you have. thanks! Lisa O'Neill, loneill@lhha.org

Default Re: ugly ceiling

Sounds do-able enough.
    Just remember to insulate the heck out of the new ceiling.

There may be a need to add some blocking of sorts between the ceiling joists to add rigidity since these are likely structural colar ties also.... but shouldn't be a big deal.

Also keep in mind if you live in a winter zone you probably will want to add some ceiling fans since the ceiling height has increased considerably.

2 cents worth.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Default Re: ugly ceiling

Thanks so much for your response. I'm encouraged to hear it's doable. I'll research the blocking issue. Wish me luck. - L