+ Reply to Thread

Default ebony stained douglas fir paneling

I am looking for advice on changing the ebony stained douglas fir paneling in the living room of my 100 year old shingle style home. The easiest route would probably be to prime it and paint it...most likely white so we can get some light into the room. We have a 12 foot porch the envelopes the room making it that much darker. I would LOVE to get back the original wood but I imagine it would be quite a task as the room is 20 x 30. Although, the paneling is only chair rail height. The room was stained ebony probably 30 years ago. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Default Re: ebony stained douglas fir paneling

If there is not a coating over it (poly,shellac,etc.) You might lighten it with wood bleach.Otherwise it would take a lot of sanding and scraping to get it back down to it's original color.

Default Re: ebony stained douglas fir paneling

If these are individual pieces of solid wood t&g stock, you could consider carefully taking it down, piece by piece, and then sending it all thru a thcikness planer...shaving off just enough to remove the stained wood. Finish it & reinstall.