+ Reply to Thread

Thread: well pump

Unhappy well pump

my pump is s deep well pump, the problem,this happens only some time, when the washing machine is turned on and we use water some where else that the pressure falls and the pressure switch on the tank is closed and i can fill the pump running by placing my hand on the pipe but the prussure will not come up stayes at 20 lbs, if i turn the breaker off and then on again the tank will fill up and the pressure returnes to 60 lbs. no one seems to know how to help:

Default Re: well pump

Jerry,

Kinda hard to troubleshoot this sort of thing from this distance.

Is this a deep well submersible or a jet pump?

You've likely already tried swapping out the pressure switch in case it might be hanging, but I doubt that's the problem if you can feel the pump running.

Next thing that comes to mind from your description of the symptoms is that the pump may be set too deep and the screen is clogging with sand or similar. When you turn off the power, the suction ceases and the sand/debris falls away...clearing the screen... and the pump can then pull more water. Even a partially clogged screen restricts the amount of water the pump can deliver. The more faucets you open, the bigger the demand/request for replenishment. One faucet, no problem keeping up. Washing machine and a faucet or two....even a partial clog of the screen becomes a problem.

Your screen may be partially clogged all of the time from a build up of crud and all it takes is a bit more debris to choke it down severely. Depends upon what's in your water supply. You can buy acid tablets to drop down the pipe to help clear a screen. (Specifically made for this purpose - plumber's supply or from a well-driller) Might work, might not. Depends. If it doesn't, you might have to pull the pump/pipes and install a new screen.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 08-13-2008 at 11:41 PM.

thanks for the info, i do get a lot of rock dust in my filter and have to change it quite often, that may be the problem

Jerry,

That filter you mention is hopefully "after" the pressure tank and not in between the pump and the tank.