+ Reply to Thread

Red face 2 kinds of tile, 2 kinds of grout?

I am planning to replace all the tile in my tub surround. I want standard 4 x 4 (ish) ceramic tiles like are already there, but I'd like to add accent tile strips that have much larger grout lines. Based on other Q & A's I've learned that unsanded grout should be used for the fine space between the ceramic tiles, but do I need to then use sanded grout on the accents strips that have greater, and irregular, spaces?

Default Re: 2 kinds of tile, 2 kinds of grout?

Quote Originally Posted by limanley View Post
    I am planning to replace all the tile in my tub surround. I want standard 4 x 4 (ish) ceramic tiles like are already there, but I'd like to add accent tile strips that have much larger grout lines. Based on other Q & A's I've learned that unsanded grout should be used for the fine space between the ceramic tiles, but do I need to then use sanded grout on the accents strips that have greater, and irregular, spaces?
    You didn't say what size grout lines you're planning on using, but the rule-of-thumb is: for grout lines 1/8" or larger, use sanded. It will be more durable due to the silica sand that it contains. For those 1/16" grout lines, which I only recommend with natural stone, unsanded is the way to go.
    Personally, I would avoid different sized grout lines.
    It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens. - Woody AllenHidden Content

Default Re: 2 kinds of tile, 2 kinds of grout?

I guess the ceramic tiles would have 1/16 grout lines - that's what is in there now, anyway. Do you think the new ones should be placed at 1/8? And the accent tile isn't of the same material. It's like a diamond patterned natural stone with some pieces diamond shaped, some triangles, some rectangles, all laid out on a webbed backing in 12" strips. Thanks for your help!