+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question Textured wall technique

We recently purchased a 12-year-old home and want to repaint the great room. The drywall is in very good shape and the walls have the common "California Knockdown" texturing. We used to do all of our own painting, but we don't have the time or energy now that we're older and so are seeking to hire a painter for the first time. The one who came most highly recommended by local consumers on the internet has a technique for painting straight lines on textured walls that sounds questionable to me.

He says that he caulks the ceiling line, the baseboards, and around the door frames. The line of caulk he uses is wide enough to cover the 1/4" booboos of green paint that the last painter left on the white ceiling (we are repainting the green walls an adobe russet but leaving the off-white ceiling and moldings as they are). He then uses the line of caulk on the wall surface as a straight line to paint up to. He says he doesn't actually paint onto the smooth caulk, just up to it. He says he squiggles the brush back and forth to work the paint into the texturing as he paints the line.

He may be able to achieve a straight line with this technique (I know I could not!), but I'm unhappy at the thought of having wide strips of exposed caulk along the ceiling and all of the trim. It will put a thin white stripe at the top of the walls and around all the baseboards and moldings.

Besides that, I have never seen a caulk that didn't discolor, shrink and pull away from the surface within a number of years and need to be stripped out and redone. I cannot believe that any brand of caulk will last as long as a professional paint job using Benjamin Moore Aura paint (their top of the line). We are just two older adults in the house so we don't expect to ding up the walls and be repainting every 5 years.

What does anyone else think? I'm familiar with the technique of using a thin bead of caulk and painting a straight line along its smooth surface, but this technique I've never heard of.

Thanks for any feedback/opinions.

Default Re: Textured wall technique

It is common practice to use caulk as described when painting both surfaces. The caulk gives the brush a smooth surface to ride on which helps create the straight line. I can't imagine only painting up to the caulk. I think you're worry is warranted, and this method should be proven before being accepted. Have the painter do a test area with this technique to determine if it's something that looks professional or half-a**ed. When you've got a corner to paint into, such as a wall/ceiling joint or back cutting into door trim, it is not that difficult to do in a clean and tidy manner without the use of caulk.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: Textured wall technique

I think this informations may help you.

Spray Texture

To create depth and texture to drywall, you can use the sprayed texture look. Using a compressor and spray gun, you blast texture coating materials onto a wall. These splotches of texture may be small or large, according to settings you can adjust on the spray gun assembly. This is a fast and efficient technique for texture, but requires a bit of practice to master the spray machine and gauge pressure for desired effects.

Knock Down Technique

If you want to, you can "knock down" the texture sprayed on the wall. This texture method is often done after the spray texture has been blasted onto the walls, but before it has a chance to dry. Depending on the temperature, you have about 15 to 30 minutes to knock down the texture after application. Holding a wide-blade trowel gently, skim the blade over the surface of the sprayed texture to spread the splotches into flatter shapes. This technique offers a classic look that adds interest as well as depth to a wall surface.

Manual Texturing

If you're creative, you can experiment with texture materials. For a rustic or Spanish look, you can use drywall mud for more control, which also avoids the hassle of renting or purchasing a compressor and the spray attachments. Using a wide-bladed putty knife or smooth trowel, apply large chunks of drywall mud to the wall. Then, take the trowel and spread it around, applying different pressure and directions to the trowel. This achieves a more random placement and spread of drywall mud with a rustic appearance. While this technique may take a little longer, it's also one of the most controllable, as the amount, depth and continuity of the textured mud is completely at your own discretion.

Thanks.