+ Reply to Thread

Default Need help finding storage solution for nails

Im hoping somebody knows of a great product to help me.

I have boxes and boxes of nails and screws in my basement. I have several rental properties. When I need to go to one, I would like to have a large storage device that will house all of my nails and screws so that each size has its own compartment. I want to just throw the storage device in the back of my van and know when I get there, I have all the hardware with me! Plano has one, but it only has like 20 compartments.

ANY suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,
    Joe

Default Re: Need help finding storage solution for nails

The container used will depend on the size of the fastener. For instance, I keep deck and drywall screws from 1" to 3" in a vertical organizer bin with slide-out/removable bins The bin has a top tray that's handy for odds and ends or tools. Generally, these items are used in quantity and require larger containers. Smaller things like sheet metal screws, wall anchors, and similar things are kept in a lidded Plano box. I have several identical Plano boxes for drill bits and plumbing parts. For the shop I have several smaller versions of the vertical organizer with smaller drawers in which I keep small nails and odd fasteners in, however due to their design, they don't travel well, and if you bump the divider gates in the drawers, they lift which makes a mess and you can't get the drawer back in until you get the gate dropped back down into place. I would recommend sticking with lidded Plano boxes that are a once piece, molded unit, that is to say the individual cubbies are permanently separated, my experience with all gated types of dividers for flexible sized cubbies is that the gates get knocked loose and cause a spill. Another thing to be very careful of is that the lid seal tightly against the cubbies to prevent intermixing of the contents during travel. It would be preferable if the bottom of the cubbies were rounded to aid removal of the items.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I have amassed a collection of clear polycarbonate wide mouthed jars with screw on plastic lids for this purpose most are recycled but some I purchased near bulk spice display at neighborhood grocery store. I tote them in a rubbermaid tool box eliminated the shallow top tray and mark the top of the lids. I use smaller recycled plastic spice jars for the smaller collections of fasteners on the remaining deeper tray.

Another solution that came to me as I read jkirk's post is to use bucket caddies. They're round sectioned bins that fit inside a 5 gallon bucket.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Watson View Post
    I have amassed a collection of clear polycarbonate wide mouthed jars with screw on plastic lids for this purpose most are recycled but some I purchased near bulk spice display at neighborhood grocery store. I tote them in a rubbermaid tool box eliminated the shallow top tray and mark the top of the lids. I use smaller recycled plastic spice jars for the smaller collections of fasteners on the remaining deeper tray.
    I agree, this is the best solution I have found. I wash out all my plastic peanut butter jars and lids. When I have enough jars, I keep saving the lids. You can fill the jars and stack them on a shelf or I take the extra lids and screw them to the underside of a shelf or beam in my shop. You can them thread the jar into the lids and leave them hanging when they are easily accessable but out of the way. I keep the extra lids on hand for when I need to have them portable. I unscrew the jars from thier mounts, then screw the extra lids to them. The jars I have stack nicely in 5 gallon buckets. I can fit four into the bottom of the bucket and stack them till the reach the top. Best system I have used ever and it costs next to nothing.