+ Reply to Thread

Default Not Enough Room For Trim - Help!

Hello,

I have installed a bulkhead in my basement around the furnace ductwork. This bulkhead runs above 3 doors which does not leave enough room for standard 2" trim above the door. One of the doorways has an existing casing it it and the other two are just framed. How should I handle this? Should I 'rip' the trim to the correct height above these three doors or try to cut the door frames and doors? I am not sure how seasoned 'do it yourselfers' typically handle this.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Default Re: Not Enough Room For Trim - Help!

I would notch the trim to fit around the bulkhead, unless it was the full width of the door, then ripping would be in order. I had a similar issue when changing out the trim in my house. One bathroom didn't have room behind the door for the 2-1/4" colonial trim, so I ripped the trim down to fit the space and clipped the tip of the head piece of trim that was also too long for the space. The result, while noticeably thinner than the rest of the trim, you can still see the profile and everything blends together seamlessly.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!