+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Attic Ladder

Question Attic Ladder

To help alleviate our storage issue I'm thinking about installing an attic ladder in the hallway. Now the ceiling joists run perpindicular or across the width of the hallway will there be a problem if I cut two of them out in order to put in the new header. I want to make sure I'm not going to cause a stability issue.

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Attic Ladder

Do you have trusses or rafters for roof support? It is pretty much a no-no to cut up a truss on site without truss company input on how to modify it.

If you have rafters....
    Are the hallway walls weight-bearing? That would help your situation in creating the necessary headers for the attic access.

This very well may not be the project for me....

Please help educate me. How do you tell the difference in trusses and rafters? My home is a 1970s Ranch.

Also, how do you determine if it is a load bearing wall? This hallway runs down the center of our home. Does that matter?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cdub View Post
    This very well may not be the project for me....

Please help educate me. How do you tell the difference in trusses and rafters? My home is a 1970s Ranch.

Also, how do you determine if it is a load bearing wall? This hallway runs down the center of our home. Does that matter?

thanks
    Google images for rafter and truss. Rafters are built on site and are designed to span with larger pieces of lumber to support the structure. Trusses use much smaller lumber with intricate "webbing" to give them superior strength and that strength is derived from the whole, so cutting into any part of it will significantly reduce it's structural strength and stability.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks. We defintely have rafters and not trusses.

So how do I determine if the walls of the hallway are load bearing? I can tell you they are interior wall running down the center of the house and the ceiing joists run perpindicular.