Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    North of Boston

    Default Shower: Plumber or carpenter?

    The house: a 152 yr old house; 90% original. I don't want to tear it apart to fix things, because I'm affraid of doing damage to irreplaceable floor, ceiling, etc.

    The problem: We have a shower on the 2nd floor that looks like it is leaking where the shower wall meets the pan. We didn't notice it until the wall next to this joint starting looking like it had water damage. It also looks like it may have leaked to the 1st floor bathroom and dining room shared wall.

    Question: Do we hire a plumber to fix the shower and carpenter/plasterer to fix the walls? Or will a carpenter be able to tell us enough about the shower problem to fix it our selves.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2flr shwr.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	5.3 KB 
ID:	72   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1flr bthrm ceiling.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	73   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1flr dngrm ceiling.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	5.1 KB 
ID:	74  
    Last edited by odie156; 08-20-2007 at 02:04 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: Shower: Plumber or carpenter?

    You may have to gain access to the back side of the plumbing wall in order to determine what is leaking. Obviously something needs to be replumbed so yes a plumber will need to be called unless you want to attack it yourself. However, most plumbers don't do wood work or drywall repair. So I guess your answer is yes to both.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    new castle, pa

    Default Re: Shower: Plumber or carpenter?

    hard to tell from your pics but here goes.
    it looks like you have a shower door? and that the
    leak is happening at the lower corner,correct?
    anyway that is a very common area for a leak , the caulking
    along the door side and bottom usually fail first.
    also is there any caulking/silicone in the seam of the
    showerwall where it meets the pan? a few years ago some
    manufacturers did not call for that area to be sealed but
    now they do for this reason.
    i would redo the caulking/silicone in that area at least
    and see what happens.
    as for the walls , is just the paint peeling or is the
    plaster soft. if just the paint is peeling , scrap, sand and

    if you aren't up to the work, i would check with a carpenter
    no need for a plumber. a professional handyman should be able to do it all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts