+ Reply to Thread

Cool Long time; no paint

I am painting the interior of a home we bought from my mother which she had not had painted for many years. Will a primer be enough to seal the walls before I paint? The walls are made of white wall board and seem to accept paint just fine, but it wants to 'soak in' and I have to put on tons of coats to get the color I want.

Default Re: Long time; no paint

It sounds like you are discribing skim-coated drywall. If that's the case you should first apply PVA primer. It is made to seal and prime drywall.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I'm reading that the walls were once painted, it's just been many many years since that time and so that now the paint is nearly nonexistent. Regardless, a PVA primer or any regular wall primer will help to seal the surface prior to applying the finish paint. A helpful tip is to tint the primer to the same color as the finish coat of paint to provide better coverage and a truer color of the final finish.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Another thought, could it be old wall paper?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Smile Re: Long time; no paint

I agree you definitely need a primer and one that is tinted. Before you do that though I hope you washed the walls down before painting as otherwise your paint may start to peel down the road. You never said whether there was anyone in the house you bought who was a smoker. If you did have a smoker then not only do you need to clean your walls and ceiling but will need a special primer to make sure the nicotine doesn't soak through. The best primer I have ever seen to prevent nicotine from bleeding through is Kilz brand but I am sure there are others out there too. Kilz is just an over all good primer even if no one smoked. Good luck on your paint job!