+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default halogen spot turns off when it gets hot

i have 4 small spot/halogen lights on a light switch in my kitchen. when i turn the switch on, all 4 lights come on. but after about 20-30 minutes, there is 1 light that always shuts off. and recently 1 additional light turned off as well, just the once. if i switch the lights off and let them sit off for awhile to cool, all 4 will come on again. then repeat cycle. these are surface mount spots, not insulated - so all the insulation in the attic is at the recomended distance. the spots get really hot but i think that is normal since no insulation is to be near them.
    is the wiring not correct or loose on this one?
    or is the light faulty?

Default Re: halogen spot turns off when it gets hot

Check the bulbs you might have the wrong ones wattage wise or reflector wise and they might be overheating.

these are the bulbs that came with the fixture...

Maybe they are dirty or have a hot spot you could try swapping out the bulbs.

This is a safety feature to keep from burning down your house. If you leave the power on they will comeback on after the cool. There are tow types of fixtures, one that must be installed with open air flow and the other that may be cover with insulation. I suspect they are the former and located with either insulation on them or a small closed spaced allowing no air circulation.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    This is a safety feature to keep from burning down your house. If you leave the power on they will comeback on after the cool. There are tow types of fixtures, one that must be installed with open air flow and the other that may be cover with insulation. I suspect they are the former and located with either insulation on them or a small closed spaced allowing no air circulation.
    Jack
    they are the open air flow. the wiring/fixture is in the attic and its been 100+ here the last few weeks

why is it only 1 is doing it? and i assume all is ok then with the fixture/wiring?

Quote Originally Posted by jbinx View Post
    they are the open air flow. the wiring/fixture is in the attic and its been 100+ here the last few weeks

why is it only 1 is doing it? and i assume all is ok then with the fixture/wiring?
    The light is shut off by a thermal switch, it a device that has a bi-metal disk that deforms when hot breaking contact. These thermal buttons are cheap and dirty temperature controls that have wide + or - rating. For example 140 degrees + or - 20 degrees, which would mean one may trip at 120 degrees and another like switch may not trip until 160 degrees. One is just - more degrees than the others.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 08-12-2008 at 04:41 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I'll try to explain better why I suggested you might consider cleaning and possibly swapping out the bulbs with new ones.

It could be the sockets, the sockets for both the Bi-Pin and the T-3 wedge type bulbs have springs to keep the bulb tight, cheaper ones are not as tight. Loose bulbs cause increased heat at the socket which could burn out the bulbs prematurely and/or fry the wires and sockets. The extra heat could be causing the thermal safety to cut off. It could have to be bulb quality, the Bi-Pin bulbs with pins that are to thin are hard for the sockets to hold tight, and the contacts on the T-3 bulb should be in a definite concave recess so it fits the socket firmly.

The halogen bulbs thrown in free with halogen fixtures are usually of inferior quality and have no warranty, you would be better off by chucking them out and starting with good ones right off.

If it keeps happening there could be a problem with the power supply.

I hope I did a better job of explaining this time.

I thought you started by saying the lights were surface mounted on the ceiling of the kitchen?

Perhaps they might be a track type of light fixture?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush