+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Beeping Smoke Detector

I had the same problem with my smoke detectors. They are hard wired but have battery back up. I kept changing the batteries but they kept chirping. Call me a dunce it took a week or so but found out I had the breaker off. If yours are hard wired capable, and they are not wired to a 120 service or your breaker is tripped they will chirp indicating a power loss. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by rwhnze View Post
    I had the same problem with my smoke detectors. They are hard wired but have battery back up. I kept changing the batteries but they kept chirping. Call me a dunce it took a week or so but found out I had the breaker off. If yours are hard wired capable, and they are not wired to a 120 service or your breaker is tripped they will chirp indicating a power loss. Just a thought.
    Wiring the detectors with another circuit, say a lighting circuit, will prevent that from happening....

Good point

I have four hard wired smoke detectors in my condo, I moved in (first person to live in this condo)late January. I have had beeping every night since from the two detectors in the bedroom and hall. The other two are quiet. All four units have been replaced twice with two different brands, new batteries put in and an electrician has checked the wiring. It has slowed down as the outside temperatures warm up. Has anyone come up with a solution to this? I am past the stage of it being a mild annoyance!

smoke detectors are shipped with a thin,clear,piece of plastic seperating the battery from the connector. this keeps the battery fresh during shiping or storage. the strip should be pulled after installation. if the strip was not pulled you would see it hanging out of the battery compartment. however some times a part of the strip remains and does not allow contact from the battery. you can change the battery but if the obstruction is still there you will have a singing detector. Also you have two line voltage connections to check. the pin type that goes direct to the device and the pigtail between the supply wires and the pin connectors. check your pigtails for tightness. your pin connector should be flat and tight to the detector. Also some smoke detector ceiling boxes can have a whole mess of wires and wirenuts in them. be sure your pin connector does not get distorted when you mount the detector.

Thank you. I will check that all out. Pat

I had this happen once in the middle of the night - on/off/on/off. Turned out to be a little spider running into and out of the sensor. Vacuum fixed it.

had the same problem a year ago or so when i bought my house, i put in 4 hard wire/battery back up alarms. brand new detectors from mendards. same thing, theyd beep. i put new batteries in, didnt help. so i replaced one of them, with the same kind and that fixed my situation.. my personal oppinion, they make all this sh#t cheap and thats exactly what they are!! sometimes ya get a dud.

Quote Originally Posted by rwhnze View Post
    LOL, you're not the only dunce to have done that!! I took me about a week or so to figure that one out also.."a pack of batteries later."
    For all of you Hidden Content needs in Massachusetts & RI
    If you're in need of a new Hidden Content or Hidden Content click here.
    Or if you looking for new Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

It's usually written on every snagging list I get - Please stop the smoke detectors beeping, PLEASE! LOL