+ Reply to Thread

Default installing windows over/under exterior rigid foam insulation

For a new addition with 2x4 walls with exterior osb sheathing:
    I need to add 1" rigid foam insulation to meet rescheck energy compliance. Not sure how to handle window and door installation when using rigid foam insulation.
    1. Do I secure windows to osb first then add rigid foam or put foam on first and then windows over foam? If windows go first, not sure how to build out the frame and install vinyl siding.
    2. Do I still use a house wrap like tyvek directly over osb sheathing?

Default Re: installing windows over/under exterior rigid foam insulation

Thanks for the info. This seems like a good solution. I was surprised to find no info on this even from owens corning makers of rigid foam. They don't show how to deal with windows when using the stuff. thanks.

Jkirk, thanks for info. With this technique, I could carry it one step further by using a 2x6 for r.o. framing. Then use 1 1/2 inch foam. The 1/2" osb + 1 1/2" foam + the 2x4 wall size will even it out and I get more r value.

I realize this is an older post, but can someone respond with the solution that was omitted from the previous post? I am building an addition to my house and have the same question on hose exterior foam works with window installation. Thanks for hte advaice.