+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question Concrete around perimeter of home

Hi, I live in a neighborhood of bungalows built in the 20's and 30's in upstate New York. I have noticed that almost all of these homes have, on the driveway side of the house, either concrete or asphalt extending from the driveway edge right up to the side of the house. I am wondering if there is a functional reason for this. (Hope I explained this well enough for you to visualize.)

I ask because I want to have this concrete/asphalt removed. There is approximately 5-6 feet from the driveway edge to my house and I would much prefer to have this area filled with green plants rather than concrete. However, if there is a good reason for the concrete I won't do so. The only reason I can think would have something to do with keeping the basement dry but if that were the case why not have it on both sides? And that logic wouldn't make much sense in my case as the side with the concrete is the side that water leaks in on.

And if I go over a few blocks where the houses are ranch style rather than bungalow style they no longer have the concrete around the house, but rather they have grass/lawn.

Can anyone give me a good explanation why the concrete is here and is there any good reason why I shouldn't remove it?

Thanks so much for your help!

Default Re: Concrete around perimeter of home

I'm guessing the concrete is there so someone didn't have to worry about maintaining plantings near the house. From your description, I can't think of a functional reason for it. Before removing the concrete, make sure the grade at the house slopes away from the foundation and that the driveway isn't pitched towards the house.
    Check out what's taking up all my free time at Hidden Content