+ Reply to Thread

Default How do I stop the rain from coming down to my patio from my deck above?

I had someone build a patio/deck from my 2nd story home. The problem that I am having is I cannot enjoy my patio year round with the rain coming through the floor boards from my patio desk above. Is there any way to place something between the 1/2" gaps in the wood to eleminate this problem without spending a lot of money on redoing the floor of the patio deck?

Default Re: How do I stop the rain from coming down to my patio from my deck above?

You can use temporary outdoor carpet [not recommend] or install awing / roof .

I would not close the gap between the wood plank. The gap is there for wood expansions during weather change.
    Even if you reduce the gap, the rainwater will go through anyway.
    "Life does not go by the book, we learn as we go along".

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

Default Re: How do I stop the rain from coming down to my patio from my deck above?

Thank you BigWalt. I live in So California so not much weather change. I did buy outdoor carpet but it doesn't last long because of the hot sun also still leaks water through. I also thought about the temporary awnings but not sure it will withstand the high winds that we often get. No other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by mlong View Post
    Thank you BigWalt. I live in So California so not much weather change. I did buy outdoor carpet but it doesn't last long because of the hot sun also still leaks water through. I also thought about the temporary awnings but not sure it will withstand the high winds that we often get. No other ideas?

I do not know California standards on home construction. I'm from NC area, If I added any more information then it will be huge problem because California have strict standards on home construction. I would wait for west coast member [ A_Spruce ] here adding their 2.
    "Life does not go by the book, we learn as we go along".

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

I don't know if this would be approved for your area, but what about installing solid soffit under the deck. It would catch the drips and if you slope it correctly the water would run to the outside edge of the patio underneath.

Question Re: How do I stop the rain from coming down to my patio from my deck above?

Thank you that is definitely a thought. I have also found various vinal sheeting that loops under and stappled and again has to be angled properly. Then that part is covered with a new cealing. Problem with this is it is more than i want to spend.

I also found DuraFlash Vinyl Flashing. It seams inexpensive and can be rolled out on the topside of the deck. They claim that it never wears, tears, etc...I thought i could put outdoor carpet over this for appearance.

What are your thoughts on this product and does anyone think that this will actually work?

Here is a previous thread that has some links to products that may help :
    http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?t=5024
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush