+ Reply to Thread

Question bathroom floor leveling?

I am currently doing a total re-model in my bathroom, my question is how do I get the floor back to level. I am new at the whole do it yourself repair work, so figure that you are reading a post from a dummy! My house is pretty old no record of it ever being built from what I'm told. I am re-doing every room of my house, one room at a time. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to fix my sloping floor. The bathroom is at the corner the house, and my floor slopes to the corner of my house. I want to tear the whole floor up and start fresh right off the joist's. So what I'm asking is, where do I start after the old floor is off. I can see that that the origanal floor has been covered over with the existing one I see today. I am trying to do this myself with the help of my father, but we are both very busy with our work that we have a hard time getting together to work on it. Plus I am expecting my second child in about eight months, so I am trying to save some pennies for my baby. Any help would be greatly welcomed. Thanks, Josh

Default Re: bathroom floor leveling?

How much does it slope?

Is there a crawl space or basement underneath?

What will the finish floor surface be?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Off the top of my head I'm guessing about 2 or 3 inches. their is a crawl space underneath it, and I'm going to lay tile for the finished product.

probally the first thing you would want to determine is, is the slope due to settling, wood decay, or is there some other problem? you would want to make sure of this first and then that could be the determining factor of just how to proceed. I say all this because just finished up a house that had this same problem and the cause was two fold they had had termites and water damage that both caused floor joists to decay till the floor just lacked support at those ends, the house had previously been sprayed for termites so that was no longer a problem and the water leaks under the tub had been simply cut off. so we were able to rip up the floor replace the joists and instantly that took care of the floor level problem. so either by crawling under the house or pulling the flooring loose you will need to see what the cause is. once you do please post back even if you automatically understand how to fix it. you see we are a curious bunch.

Exclamation Re: bathroom floor leveling?

I pulled the floor up and found that my joist's are toasted. So it looks like I'm gonna put new one's in. I wish ya'll could see this place I have yet to see something that's been done right.I mean on my plumbing for the tub and sink they used duct tape to put them together! It looks like a roll on each joint too, I thought it would have been easier to just clean them and glue them. But apparently they thought duct tape was right for the job...ha ha yea right!

Sounds like you have your hands full.

Let us know how you make out.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I don't know what to say but I'm sorry for you. Its bad enough when you find that sort of thing on a job that your getting paid to do. but when its on your own house kinda rips at the gut when you see the green going out

Yes it does, but at least I'm gonna do it right and not have to mess with it for a long time.