+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1

    Question Controling Moisture in Crawl Space

    We have moderate mold in the crawlspace of our home. We contacted 2 companies to remediate this problem.

    One company recommends installing a "clean space", which seals all air vents and installs sumppump to keep out moisture. They say it is not necessary to treat the existing mold . That it dies when humidity <70%. Treatment with biocide is optional. They said we could have the insulation removed and not replaced since the "clean space" is sealed and acts as insulation for the house. We live in central Virginia. Is this allowed by building code?

    The other company recommends removal/replacement of all the insulation. HEPA cleaning of surfaces, installation of vapor barrier on the floor of the crawl space and part way up the walls, treatment with biocide, installation of ventilation system that pulls air from inside the house through the crawl space. Their theory is to increase ventilation and the first company wants to seal the crawls space.

    Which is the best approach? Both cost about the same.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: Controling Moisture in Crawl Space

    Almost sounds like you are in a similar situation that we are. I've researched, read, had companies in, etc...

    Here is what I've been told so far:

    #1 - don't use a dehumidifier, as it draws in the moisture from the basement walls

    #2 - bleach only lasts for so long

    #3 - you don't want to just leave it - as it can spread.

    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a thread posted, but no one has answered mine - When we purchased our home, built in 1829 - looked in tip-top shape. Basement had pure white walls, etc...after about 2 years, things began showing through - tested positive for 5+ molds. If you sand/sc**** - you're going to stir up the spores. I've been spraying Tilex on my walls every other day. - when I run out, I fill the bottles with 1/2 bleach and 1/2 water. However...just discovered that hydrogen peroxide is supposed to act as a biocide and kill the mold and then you are supposed to use a stainblocker, mold resistent, waterproofing primer like (I think Dry-lock and/or bulls eye) I'm going to give it a try. Definitely worth a try instead of spending $30,000 + having others come into your home and stirring things up and possibly making matters worse.

    Other way to get rid of moisture 1st - Walmart has these bags that you hang (Dry-Rid) or something like that and boy you'd be surprised how much moisture they draw. I hung about 6 of them and they were full in about 2 months.

    Hope this helps!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •