+ Reply to Thread

Threaded View

Thumbs up BBQ Island tile top

I just finised a job for a customer that didn't want to use a solid surface top on their outdoor kitchen (BBQ island). It became a real dilemma. No one wanted to touch the job except for moi.
    What I did was use 2 layers of 3/4" pressure treated plywood screwed together and glued together with PL Premium.
    I first installed PT 2x4 framing inside the island flush to the top in order to support the ply top and have a surface to screw it down into.
    I also had 3/4" thick streel L brackets made for where it hung over the rounded side as my support.

I then troweled on a good quality thinset to the top of the ACQ ply and screwed down 1/2" Wonderboard..
    Over the Wonderboard I painted on two coats of RedGard waterproofing and crack resisting membrane.
    Over that I installed my tile.
    The heavy edge tiles I used Speedset thinset which dried pretty rapidly.
    The edge tiles I had supported on 2x4's clamped under the counter till it dried which took about 30min +-

The link below works really nicely using the SLIDE SHOW FEATURE..it's towards the top left of the pictures once you click on the link.You can pause the pictures too if you want. It shows ALL the progress right to the finished product. I posted some stills here as well.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/andybuildz/BBQTILETOP <--for the Slide Show
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BBQreduced.jpg 
Views:	1446 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	1510   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bbq2.jpg 
Views:	1353 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	1511   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	manao bbq tile work.1.jpg 
Views:	1315 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	1512   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bbq tile counter top job waterproofed top phase.jpg 
Views:	1215 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	1513   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	border tile small.jpg 
Views:	1441 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	1514  

Last edited by andybuildz; 08-09-2008 at 06:29 PM. Reason: cause I always wanted to be an editor : )-
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו