+ Reply to Thread

Thumbs up BBQ Island tile top

I just finised a job for a customer that didn't want to use a solid surface top on their outdoor kitchen (BBQ island). It became a real dilemma. No one wanted to touch the job except for moi.
    What I did was use 2 layers of 3/4" pressure treated plywood screwed together and glued together with PL Premium.
    I first installed PT 2x4 framing inside the island flush to the top in order to support the ply top and have a surface to screw it down into.
    I also had 3/4" thick streel L brackets made for where it hung over the rounded side as my support.

I then troweled on a good quality thinset to the top of the ACQ ply and screwed down 1/2" Wonderboard..
    Over the Wonderboard I painted on two coats of RedGard waterproofing and crack resisting membrane.
    Over that I installed my tile.
    The heavy edge tiles I used Speedset thinset which dried pretty rapidly.
    The edge tiles I had supported on 2x4's clamped under the counter till it dried which took about 30min +-

The link below works really nicely using the SLIDE SHOW FEATURE..it's towards the top left of the pictures once you click on the link.You can pause the pictures too if you want. It shows ALL the progress right to the finished product. I posted some stills here as well.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/andybuildz/BBQTILETOP <--for the Slide Show
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BBQreduced.jpg 
Views:	1446 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	1510   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bbq2.jpg 
Views:	1361 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	1511   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	manao bbq tile work.1.jpg 
Views:	1319 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	1512   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bbq tile counter top job waterproofed top phase.jpg 
Views:	1215 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	1513   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	border tile small.jpg 
Views:	1442 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	1514  

Last edited by andybuildz; 08-09-2008 at 06:29 PM. Reason: cause I always wanted to be an editor : )-
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Default Re: BBQ Island tile top

***! Nice job.
    Kind of looks my place.

Andy,

Very nice lookin'.

What type/brand of sealer did you use?

Must/should be renewed about every how often to prevent moisture from entering grout?

(Moisture in grout + freeze = uh oh! Hence the problematic situation of the HO not wanting solid surface or similar for this. )
    Last edited by goldhiller; 08-09-2008 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ****hiller View Post
    Andy,

Very nice lookin'.

What type/brand of sealer did you use?

Must/should be renewed about every how often to prevent moisture from entering grout?

(Moisture in grout + freeze = uh oh! Hence the problematic situation of the HO not wanting solid surface or similar for this. )
    Thanks ****...I recommended to the owner to use Aqua-Mix http://www.aqua-mix.com/?cid=169&leadsource=EM169 It's hands down the best product I ever used. I have to get it directly from them being no one around here really stocks what i ever need from them. They're pretty expensive but really worth every penny..
    I know John Bridge pushes Stone tech so that must be good as well.
    The people that sold the tile to my customer sold them a bottle of sealer to spray on that they insist on using SCI which I think is a good product but I've never used it. http://www.stonecare.com/Shopping/Pr...spx?CatID=1579

The RedGard was also a GREAT idea. I love the stuff...pretty expensive but worth every penny in my mind.
    I drilled into their head the importance of keep the top sealed. It's easy enough to do.
    I also put in my contract that I'm not responsible for the longevity of the job and high-lighted it in red.
    I'm sure it'll be there forever. I built that thing with a lot of care and SS screws and PL Premium. That top? JUST for the tile top it ran them prolly' around 10K !! Those edge tiles? About $50 EACH!and there's a LOT of em'... Whewwwwww...it better last...lol

edit: Enrich N Seal from Aqua-Mix has saved several jobs for me. AMAZING STUFF but real pricey.http://www.aqua-mix.com/s.nl/it.A/id...&category=5171
    Last edited by andybuildz; 08-10-2008 at 05:13 AM.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Andy,

Thanks for the product info. I'm also using Aqua-mix in the bathroom here.

And yes, RedGard is some good stuff. Very versatile to boot.

The figures you mention don't surprise me one bit. Big fancy stuff costs big fancy money.

And then the price escalates even higher when you add in that one afternoon's labor that it took you to build it all.

Quote Originally Posted by ****hiller View Post
    Andy,

Thanks for the product info. I'm also using Aqua-mix in the bathroom here.

And yes, RedGard is some good stuff. Very versatile to boot.

The figures you mention don't surprise me one bit. Big fancy stuff costs big fancy money.

And then the price escalates even higher when you add in that one afternoon's labor that it took you to build it all.
    Haha..yeh..one afternoon...I coulda put the twin towers back together in the time it took me to do that...lol.
    Also if you get on Aqua-Mix's mailing list they send you 20% discount emails pretty often but I'm guessing youre already on it.

I checked the cost of what the store sold my customer and the A.M. Aqua-Mix was exactly double the price! I know it's worth it too!!
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

@andybuildz,
    ***..you really did an awesome job on this bbq island!

My favorite part was the textured edge tile...that's really an incredible look.

The colors of the brown and cream surface are also really nice...I'm sure you had one happy customer on your hands!

Great work!