+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wood floor

Default Wood floor

My house was built in 1995 and I have an enclosed sunporch. I want a wood floor - but not really a "hardwood" floor. In September 2008, page 36 there is a floor of barn wood -- are these boards just butted against each other (which is what I have thought of doing) or have they been routed with a tongue and groove. What would happen if I used 1x6's and butted them together for the floor? This area is not heated during the winter.

Default Re: Wood floor

Do you mean just press them together next to each other? I'm not too sure on the matter, but have you considered gluing them to the subfloor?

Default Re: Wood floor

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Frantz View Post
    My house was built in 1995 and I have an enclosed sunporch. I want a wood floor - but not really a "hardwood" floor. In September 2008, page 36 there is a floor of barn wood -- are these boards just butted against each other (which is what I have thought of doing) or have they been routed with a tongue and groove. What would happen if I used 1x6's and butted them together for the floor? This area is not heated during the winter.
    All wood expands and contracts with the different humidity and tempature levels. Given the un heated area I would suggest you keep a little space for expansion and contraction. Tounge and groove does not allows for the wood to expand and contract but keeps you from seeing the spaces between the boards. Keep in mind on the end near the walls you need to allow for the expansion and contraction. So do not put the boards tight near the walls.
    PS I am back from Vacation!!!
    Harry

Exclamation do

do it better