+ Reply to Thread

Default Using deep plastic outlet/switch boxes

i'm installing a bunch of new outlets in my basement remodel. it seemed smart to use the carlon 20 cu inch outlet boxes vs. 18 given that it will give more room for cables/dimmers etc.

they work well on my exterior walls where i have framed with 2x4 a few inches pulled away from the concrete and on my 2x6 walls, but i'm concerned about them on my interior 2x4 walls.

the boxes are 3.25" deep (2.75" less the .5" drywall overhang)- so end up a mere 3/4" from the other side of the stud. code states that romex needs to be 1.25" from the face of studs. where the romex enters the cable-hole in the box it appears to get too close to the edge.

i assume that i should not use these boxes in 2x4 walls. can someone confirm??

thx,
    -brett

Default Re: Using deep plastic outlet/switch boxes

Using deep plastic boxes is a better choice . It will allow you to install dimmers, gfi receptacles,ect without cramming them . On interior walls the cables entering the box will get too close to the surface so install a metal nail plate. Allow the nail plate to hangover the edge of the stud a little and this will keep the cable protected where it enters the deep box.