+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 3 way swiches with dimmer on both ends

I've done many 3 way switches over the years, but always with one 3 way dimmer swich & one regular 3 way switch, light always came on at the dinner setting.
    New lighting going in on our lanai & I'd like to have a dimmer swich @ both ends, mainly so I can crank up the light in the middle of the night if needed.

Possible? Special switches, or just 2 regular 3 way dimmers?

Thanks!
    Lee

Default Re: 3 way swiches with dimmer on both ends

Regular dimmer switch basically just put a mechanical variable resister in line and can only be operated from one location.
    As mentioned by YukYuk one of the choices would be an X10 dimmer set like this http://www.smarthome.com/2494m3.html

Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 08-08-2008 at 11:31 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Smile Re: 3 way swiches with dimmer on both ends

Did some more research, following leads from here.
    Depot & Lowes sell Lutron dimmers for this application
    Approx $60 to start, which includes 2 dimmers, & you can add on from there as needed...

Thanks!
    Lee

I work for Lowes in the electrical department and I have customers ask me this question all the time. The answer to your question is "There is no possible way to wire two 3-way dimmers into a circuit. If you do, it brings down the ohms (resistance) and there for a short circuit. Nither of the dimmers will be able to operate the light. But if you want to install a dimmer into it, it has to be one three way switch and then the dimmer switch. Other than that, it won't operate. Hopes this helps.

EH

Quote Originally Posted by electricianhelper View Post
    I work for Lowes in the electrical department and I have customers ask me this question all the time. The answer to your question is "There is no possible way to wire two 3-way dimmers into a circuit. If you do, it brings down the ohms (resistance) and there for a short circuit. Nither of the dimmers will be able to operate the light. But if you want to install a dimmer into it, it has to be one three way switch and then the dimmer switch. Other than that, it won't operate. Hopes this helps.

EH
    Sorry but you are wrong. You can't use standard dimmer switch but you can use X10 dimmer switches.
    Jack

Lutron maestro multi-location dimmer and companion uses standard 3-way wiring and can be dimmed from multiple locations.

Jack are you and **** trying to make friend with others again?

I try, but at least you now know why I don't ask for help in the borg stores.
    Jack

its amazing when I was working commercial drywall and metal studs how some of the guys who just couldn't get it together on the job became the resident expert for those very same positions at particular not to be named stores

Quote Originally Posted by electricianhelper View Post

EH
    No offense ...... perhaps you might brush up on products if you are offering advice on your job at Lowes.

There are systems that do allow more than one dimmer on a circuit.
    As the original poster mentions Lutron has the Smart Dimmer with the Smart Remote ( the Maestro line ) ... however these can not be used with standard mechanical 3 way switches in the circuit.

The other method is using the standard style dimmer used with a standard mechanical 3 way switch in the circuit.
    Last edited by canuk; 08-12-2008 at 07:23 PM.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush