+ Reply to Thread

Default asphalt driveway pulled away from house

Hello I have a asphalt driveway that has pulled away from the house and a one inch void has developed. The old material has cracked and fell down into the void. I have cleaned old leaves and plant debris out of the void. I am wondering what would be to best in the void, a thin brick mortar, concete crack filler, or an asphalt filler. Should I remove the old material ?

Default Re: asphalt driveway pulled away from house

Bonding the driveway to the foundation is not what asc2078 is suggesting with his referral to Latex-ite.

I agree with the referral since the sealer will remain flexible & keep most if not all of the water out.

The recommendation of asphalt saturated felt by the next poster is inappropriate.

the ASF will not seal the crack and thus allow water in to freeze and cause additional problems.

It could also be a trip and fall hazard if used.
    Last edited by dodsworth; 08-08-2008 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 86w42 View Post
    Hello I have a asphalt driveway that has pulled away from the house and a one inch void has developed. The old material has cracked and fell down into the void. I have cleaned old leaves and plant debris out of the void. I am wondering what would be to best in the void, a thin brick mortar, concete crack filler, or an asphalt filler. Should I remove the old material ?
    Is this something that has just started to happen?
    Has it been dry in your area and do you have clay based soil?

Quote Originally Posted by bsum1 View Post
    Is this something that has just started to happen?
    Has it been dry in your area and do you have clay based soil?
    yes clay based soil .. a couple of the house in the area have the same issuse but everyone has used a thin mortar or concrete to seal it but it return and re cracks.

yuk posted that this is expansion, i would agree. The driveway is on the cool side of the house and the area almost never gets direct sunlight ..

lmk and thanks

I don't have asphalt but the expansion paper has pulled out from between my driveway and foundation. Its a concrete driveway and I now seem to have a leak at the base of my basement. Between the basement floor and the wall along the driveway. Could the problem be coming from water getting between the driveway and the basement wall? Will sealing the gap take care of the problem? This only happens when there is an extremely hard rain.