+ Reply to Thread

Default Oil smell throughout house after oil leak fixed.

The repairman was out this morning and fixed an oil leak in my FHA system. The leak was in small thin copper tubing that connects to the motor on the furnace. It had been leaking for about 4 days and has really stunk up the house every time the furnace is on. The repairman replaced the copper line, wiped down the motor, the pan under the motor and the wires leading down to the chamber where the air filter is. He also sprinkled some powder under the motor and in the air filter chamber to nuetralize the oil smell. It has been 12 hours since the leak has been fixed and I am still getting a pretty strong oil smell when the furnace is running. My questions are is this common, if so how long should it take get ride of the oil smell, or do you think that there is still a problem with the furnace. I forgot to mention that the repairman also replaced the fuel nozzel.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Default Re: Oil smell throughout house after oil leak fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by jackyy22 View Post
    The repairman was out this morning and fixed an oil leak in my FHA system. The leak was in small thin copper tubing that connects to the motor on the furnace. It had been leaking for about 4 days and has really stunk up the house every time the furnace is on. The repairman replaced the copper line, wiped down the motor, the pan under the motor and the wires leading down to the chamber where the air filter is. He also sprinkled some powder under the motor and in the air filter chamber to nuetralize the oil smell. It has been 12 hours since the leak has been fixed and I am still getting a pretty strong oil smell when the furnace is running. My questions are is this common, if so how long should it take get ride of the oil smell, or do you think that there is still a problem with the furnace. I forgot to mention that the repairman also replaced the fuel nozzel.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Quite common with fuel oil spills. Most tech men {or woman** will leave a bit extra of the commercial component used in those spills. And yes, that spill seems to linger forever, even after a repair. Check in case you have another leak though.
    Kitty litter is also an excellent second choice for minor fuel oil spills.

Default Re: Oil smell throughout house after oil leak fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    Quite common with fuel oil spills. Most tech men {or woman** will leave a bit extra of the commercial component used in those spills. And yes, that spill seems to linger forever, even after a repair. Check in case you have another leak though.
    Kitty litter is also an excellent second choice for minor fuel oil spills.
    Try VaporRemed since it removes fumes effectively and permanently in a matter of minutes and is available through our distributor channel in MA or directly from us.
    Last edited by vaporremed; 02-11-2010 at 08:34 AM.