+ Reply to Thread

Default Water Softener VS Water Filtration

Can anyone tell me the difference between a water softener and a water filtration system?

Default Re: Water Softener VS Water Filtration

Quote Originally Posted by Dwalker View Post
    Can anyone tell me the difference between a water softener and a water filtration system?
    A softener neutralizes mineral content (hard water ), while a filtration system removes particulate that causes odor and bad flavors.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

So it I have really hard water which system would work best for me?

Hard water is taken care of with a softener. Depending on your location, water supply and water quality, it may also be beneficial to utilize a filtration system too.

Are you having a particular problem?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Currently we have a well and are renting a Culligan water softener. I doesn't seem to work great and we want to buy something to use in our home so we aren't renting anymore. We are trying to decide between a filtration system or a water softener.

I have a well at our house, and the answer for us is both. There is a whole house filter just past the pressure tank before it heads to the softener. The filter grabs particulate matter before it heads to the softener. I don't know the exact science of the softener, but it does it's trick. It doesn't work as well when the softener is out of salt, so it proves to me that the house filter doesn't do the trick by itself.

Everyone's situation will be different depending on your ground water conditions.
    Check out what's taking up all my free time at Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Dwalker View Post
    Currently we have a well and are renting a Culligan water softener. I doesn't seem to work great and we want to buy something to use in our home so we aren't renting anymore. We are trying to decide between a filtration system or a water softener.
    Again, a softener only reduces mineral content, "softening" the water. A filtration system will remove particulate that clogs fixture aerators and imparts foul odor and flavor. Two different systems, doing two different things. It is possible that the Culligan system you are renting is not sufficient to neutralize the minerals OR minerals are not the problem or the only problem. Have you had a water analysis to determine exactly what your issue is? There are municipal agencies that will test your water for free or low cost to determine what your needs are.