+ Reply to Thread

Default Main water shut off vavle leaking AGAIN!

Can anyone tell me if it's common to have a main shut off valve fail several times? If so what can I do to prevent this from happening again?

Default Re: Main water shut off vavle leaking AGAIN!

The valve is a ball valve and two of them have failed with in months according to my plumber.

The shut off is in the house before the meter.

Default Re: Main water shut off vavle leaking AGAIN!

The Plumber has been out for the third time as of Yesterday the second time he was out he said he can't warrantee parts so he still charged us labor to replace the valve. This time he charged us nothing. The valve is a ball valve off of a 3/4" copper line that comes into the basement. This is the potable water service into the house. It does also have electrical grounding to it but is jumped around the meter I am sure of, I will have to double check to see if its jumped past the valve also. When we purchase the house the also had to add a ground rod outside off the panel box. The ball valve is a Watts 3/4" ball valve, thread on, on both sides. The first valve failure developed a pin hole leak in the valve housing. The second valve was leaking at the threaded connection to the copper line. The Plumber stated the the valve needed to be replaced again, but did not state the excact failure of the second valve. We do have two shut offs after the water meter, there is one 1/2" service leaving the meter to feed the house. We don't have any check valves or pressure reducing valves on the service.