+ Reply to Thread

Question Is it better to insulate or replace furnace and AC?

I recently bought a house in Cleveland that was built in 1926. No wall insulation, the furnace is about 20 years old, but is a 90% efficiency and 80,000 BTU. A/C unit is an 8 seer 3.5 ton. My house is about 2100 sq. ft. Is it going to better my utility bills to pay $3300 to have the house insulated or replace the Furnace and AC at $5600?

Default Re: Is it better to insulate or replace furnace and AC?

i'm no expert but 90 percent is great go for the insulation it will help with your a/c to

Insulate first. Walls & attic.
    The 8 seer A/C unit sounds old & is probably near the end of its lifespan. Replace it when you can or have to.
    The 90% furnace I would leave alone.

Ditto on the insulation.

You can look at the heating/AC system next year ... though you should consider having the furnace checked over for the next heating season.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

A 90+ furnace is one of the more efficient units on the market today, if it is good, leave it alone and go for the insulation, you'll save much more. MAKE SURE, however that the furnace is in safe operating condition. Tightening up a home through insulating and air sealing can make a dangerous situation worse if you have a cracked heat exchanger. If you must replace the furnace, there are new 90+ models with modulating gas valves and variable speed blowers (not just 2 or 3 stage) that are definately worth looking into. In any case, make sure you have at least one carbon monoxide detector working in your home.

Insulate, you'll save very little updating the equipment if you're heating the outdoors.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb