+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Default Re: wave ventilation

I just found this thread. Where can I get the Plans/Pictures you speak of?

I am sorry but the thread does not like me!!
    I cannot load the pictures that I spoke about.

The JPG file is below max size and yet no-go.
    I previously posted pictures which were deleted - so you will have to go by the description. Read the ENTIRE thread to learn.

I assembled my fan Saturday. I used a Dehumidistat that breaks to a receptacle. Added a plug to the fan rather than wiring straight to the Dehumidistat. Went with the fantech 2190 fan because of the output size plus the low amp draw. I got both from home oasis. Really liked their prices and free shipping.

I tried, I really did, to add a picture inline here but it was too hard so I just put it in a zip file. In my case the basement already had (3) 2 inch PVC pass-throughs to the outside. I used (2) of those with a 4 inch T for the exhaust. Used 4->2 reducers and then elbows.

On the intake side, used 3 inch pipe. The 3 inch T actually supports the weight of the unit and the leg from the T helps to balance it.

It has been running since Saturday. I set the Dehumidistat on 55%. I live on a lake in South Carolina so the humidity is high.
    There does seem to be a reduced dank smell so far. My basement is roughly 1800 sq ft and I just added door enclosures over the code required basement vents...6ft x 6 ft. That prompted me, along with the beginnings of mildew, to look into an exhaust fan.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for the feedback..

Well, I've run the system now for a complete summer and can say that it is definitely helpful. I did not run my dehumidifier at all. The basement, while not by any means bone dry, is tolerable for an unfinished space. So, based on my experience, the wave-type ventilation system does help alleviate humidity in the basement, and my home-made version seems to work fine.

I have a raised ranch in New York suburbs. My basement is split with boiler room and a 120 gal sw tank resides in the wall sitting in boiler room side. I noticed my tools turning rusty. I now have a Frigidare dehumidifier and it works great. I was looking in this forum and very interested in the get up by using the radon fan as an exhaust fan. My question is since I do not have a radon issue how would I set mine up for humidity, tank water lol. I noticed the basement side a bit smelly but dehumidifier helps alot. Will this alternative help my situation and save on running a dehumidifier?

If anyone is still watching this thread.

I have a similar fan I used in the attic during winter to circulate warm air from the living room where the corn stove was to the back rooms of the house; it branched out to three rooms. It positively pressured the rooms, but the doors had large gaps at the bottom allowing the air out. It would constantly recirculate so there was no cold spots. Insulated vent hose (6 or 8") was used, then covered with standard insulation to retain more heat. I did it that way for five winters and it worked well. The fan ran 24/7 during winter months, and we could not hear it running. I don't recall where I bought it from.

In 2010 we installed geothermal, and humidity is still an issue, although the A/C takes care of much of it, but still hovers over 50%, sometimes close to 60%. I think the culprit is the crawl space, but I have not checked the humidity down there. The walls are sealed with spray foam insulation, and buttoned up tight. I put plastic (whatever was recommended) on the floors. It isn't "sealed" like professional installers, but the cost is too high going that route.

The geothermal furnace puts warm air into the crawl space in the winter (no more cold floors) and cold air in the summer. One problem we don't have anymore is spiders; not a one.

I think the radon fan idea is a good one. There is the Wave Ventilation system, but take a look at this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INxWIx8QvUw
    http://www.ezbreathe.com/products/cr...tioner-system/

Next summer I think I'll take that fan out of the attic (although it may be too large; can restrict it) and build a DIY system for the crawl space. It appears the trick is to get the right balance of air in/out. Since we don't have any combustible heating sources, negative pressure isn't an issue anyway.

Anyway, I read every post and enjoyed the discussion.

I should mention, although normally air would be dry in the winter because of a furnace, since the geothermal doesn't get very hot maybe 130 degF(?), and doesn't exhaust obviously, we actually get condensation on the windows when the dew point is right. It is a bit puzzling, so would like to figure it out. I've heard it is because our home is not sealed well.

Today I went dehumidifier shopping, but didn't find the unit I wanted, began thinking about the added cost buying/operating, and wondered if there were other options.

Besides this, I read some people use calcium chloride (ice melt pellets etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by xxnonamexx View Post
    I have a raised ranch in New York suburbs. My basement is split with boiler room and a 120 gal sw tank resides in the wall sitting in boiler room side. I noticed my tools turning rusty. I now have a Frigidare dehumidifier and it works great. I was looking in this forum and very interested in the get up by using the radon fan as an exhaust fan. My question is since I do not have a radon issue how would I set mine up for humidity, tank water lol. I noticed the basement side a bit smelly but dehumidifier helps alot. Will this alternative help my situation and save on running a dehumidifier?
    That's what I'm wondering too. I don't see how. The main advantage seems to be to remove the odor and allergens etc.

Quote Originally Posted by slimething View Post
    I should mention, although normally air would be dry in the winter because of a furnace, since the geothermal doesn't get very hot maybe 130 degF(?), and doesn't exhaust obviously, we actually get condensation on the windows when the dew point is right. It is a bit puzzling, so would like to figure it out. I've heard it is because our home is not sealed well.

Today I went dehumidifier shopping, but didn't find the unit I wanted, began thinking about the added cost buying/operating, and wondered if there were other options.

Besides this, I read some people use calcium chloride (ice melt pellets etc.).
    My first post went to the bore hole, probably because of links. Oh well.

Anyway, check out Ez Breathe. $1500 installed. ***.