+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Default Re: wave ventilation

Sounds great... love the simplicity. Are you finding it is having the same results as the other model posted on this thread with regards to smell? Any pictures you could post.

Thanks to all who posted with their plans and pictures of the homemade version. After reading through this entire thread several times, I've decided to build one myself.

Just one question concerning placement of the unit.
    If I install this in what I consider the best location in my basement, the exhaust will be directly under and/or between two first floor windows.(but at ground level, obviously)
    What's to keep the nasty air from coming back into the house ?

Or is this not a problem.....?

Also, I'm wondering how much noise is produced at the discharge fitting, as this will be at the same end of the house as our bedroom..........
    Last edited by thenewguy; 09-09-2011 at 06:48 AM.

Anyone still following this ?

Quote Originally Posted by thenewguy View Post
    Thanks to all who posted with their plans and pictures of the homemade version. After reading through this entire thread several times, I've decided to build one myself.

Just one question concerning placement of the unit.
    If I install this in what I consider the best location in my basement, the exhaust will be directly under and/or between two first floor windows.(but at ground level, obviously)
    What's to keep the nasty air from coming back into the house ?

Or is this not a problem.....?

Also, I'm wondering how much noise is produced at the discharge fitting, as this will be at the same end of the house as our bedroom..........
    In your case you MAY get some smell returning to the open window.
    Mine is below an unused window but there is a faint musty smell from the discharge.

You can always just run a pipe outside to where ever you want away from the window. just keep the opening facing down to prevent water from entering and put a coarse screen to keep out bugs etc.

There is minimal noise but it is a fan!

good luck and post some pictures.

LOU

Thanks, Lou.
    I just recieved my pump/fan yesterday, so now I can proceed to start cobbling this thing together...........

I will post some pic's when I get it finished.

I am just about to buy the fan and start making my own system...

njlou, you have had it a while and I'm sure it was put to the test with this past summer here in NJ, is it working and are you happy? any changes you would make if you were to do it again?

thenewguy, anything to report?

thanks, I have a pretty bad smell from my basement and could use some success stories right about now...

Quote Originally Posted by sandcreek View Post
    I am just about to buy the fan and start making my own system...

njlou, you have had it a while and I'm sure it was put to the test with this past summer here in NJ, is it working and are you happy? any changes you would make if you were to do it again?

thenewguy, anything to report?

thanks, I have a pretty bad smell from my basement and could use some success stories right about now...
    Well,I've got my system up and running finally. Been running for about 48 hours now. It's definitely working well as far as the air circulation goes, but is doing nothing for the humidity level in the basement........the humidity level outside at this point is 73%, and is about the same in the basement.

Prior to installing the homemade wave system, I always ran two dehumidifiers in the basement. But as was pointed out by njlou in an earlier post, it seemed that I was always recirculating dry stinky air. This has solved the "stinky air" problem, but I'm a bit disappointed with the humidity level.
    I doubt there would be much point in plugging the dehumidifiers back in, as they would not be able to keep up with the moist air being drawn from upstairs.

Ah well, nothing ventured, nothing gained...........

My biggest concern is the smell, and then the humidity (I have a stone foundation and don't know if I'll ever be able to stop the moisture)

anyway, I was speaking with a rep. from wave and they told me when they install their unit they will cut a 4x12 hole in the floor to the first floor to allow air from above to move down. I guess if the ac is on this might help dry things out..???

just a thought

any pictures of your set up?

[QUOTE=thenewguy;252801]Well,I've got my system up and running finally. Been running for about 48 hours now. It's definitely working well as far as the air circulation goes, but is doing nothing for the humidity level in the basement........the humidity level outside at this point is 73%, and is about the same in the basement.QUOTE]

hi
    Back again to check on my students. Lets see some pics.

Yes you will be bringing in air that is the same humidity as the outside, but it is fresh air. In my system my air is drawn in through the normal gaps in my metal basement hatch. It faces south and absorbs some heat, so the air is a little warmer.

This summer has been miserable.I got (some) water in the basement for the first time since the ground is totally saturated. It just never stops raining.(for 2 months) We had half a years rain in a few weeks.

If I didnt have the fan, the smell would have been intolerable!
    Now after all the rain, and water in the basement the air quality is not perfect, but 10000x better than it would be without it.

Answer, I would not change a thing.
    I dont think I would drill a hole in the ceiling/floor.

Just the information I was looking for! Thanks everbody!!

35yr old two story 1700sq/ft house. Rock foundation. Particle (buckleboard) flooring. And an AVERAGE height of 10" of crawlspace.
    I don't have a "bad odor" problem.
    I've have TONS of problems.
    Bought this house, began remodelling, discovered a soft spot in the corner of a room. And now, I have almost all of the floor out. Good thing I guess. Most of the hvac ductwork is in shambles / pieces under there. A few pieces of flex duct were see-thru. Wouldn't have been any way to crawl under and repair.
    Damp, moldy, musty!
    I blame most of that on lack of ventilation and joists almost touching the ground. (in the tightest spaces under there, the worse the dampness/mold problem is).
    Most of the floor was removed. Taken enough dirt and rocks out to where I now have 16" under the joists. Have replaced all of the ductwork, layed a 15mil plastic vapor barrier down.
    AND, have been trying to decide.....
    ...Do I seal the outside vents, spend $1000 on a dehumidifier? If so, it's still not possible to seal against rocks.
    ...Do I leave the vents open and hope it takes care of the problem?
    OR....After reading all these posts, Go with my new plan!

I'll install a radon fan and seal off the foundation vents. Hopefully the fan will pull more air than what can come through the foundation and the new floor. I've gone the extra mile to make sure all my openings from floor to crawlspace are sealed. (not prefect, but, I feel I have "overkilled" that sealing a bit).
    Negative Pressure? I'm all electric and, If not mistaken, mold hates neg pressure anyway. Although, I really don't see neg pressure happenning.
    I THINK most of the "new" air will come from the attic. Which, I think would be good? (it's hot and dry up there).
    Old air expelled outside and "most" of the new air should be drawn from the box/opening that houses a main hvac trunk duct running from the atic to the crawlspace.

I'd hate to intentionally pull conditioned air from inside the house, directly into the crawlspace. I think that's what "wave" is doing, but, if I wanted to do that, I'd just leave some heat and air ducts open under the house. (kinda like it was..LOL)

Anybody like that idea? Seal up the crawlspace, install a vent fan down there, and, attempt to feed the ventfan with "mostly" attic air?