+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: wave ventilation

I have a 1926 home here in Ca.very close to the beach and have the same problems descibed here in this post. We have used 2 dehumidifiers on and off as needed.
    I have few questions about this fan setup. My basement is very small, the house is a single story about 2100 sq ft, the basement houses the 2 down draft furnaces and a water heater, and is roughly 12'x12'. I have several vents around the perimeter of the raised foundation.

Could I benefit from this system even though my basement is small?

Does this vent run 24/7?

Is there any reason why a dryer vent couldn't be used instead of the PVC exhaust cap? I'm thinking of the dryer vent that opens when there is air coming through and then drops closed when the dryer is off. That way, when the fan is turned off (winter or whenever), the vent would automatically close.

I just finished building the home made unit...!!! Let you know in a few days how she does...!!! Wish me luck...!!!

Mike...

Quote Originally Posted by rgr223cal View Post
    I just finished building the home made unit...!!! Let you know in a few days how she does...!!! Wish me luck...!!!

Mike...

Mike - just wondering what you used on the outside. I'm trying to figure out if I could use a dryer vent rather than something that I have to cover when the fan is turned off.

Thanks,
    Sue

And one more question . . . does it matter where you put it in the basement? Should it be in the part that is the most damp or does it matter. My basement is about 1500 sq ft and I only have a couple of outlets.

~Sue

If you look through the thread especially at the beginning you will see what I have done. That is your plan.

I used a radon fan and some associated hoses/pipes and you can see the picture. Also there are some new pictures that are of the similar style.

The only thing I can add is that it is a good idea to add a length of perforated PVC pipe extension to the inlet elbow to extend the pickup and quiet the air flow noises.
    You are looking to get as much air circulation as possible so you want to place the (fan) inlet at one end of the basement and the fresh air inlet (ie a hatch or a door - something that will allow air to enter)on the opposite side.
    My fresh air inlet is actually my (metal)basement hatch. It has a screen door inside and there are large openings around the hatch doors where air can get in. Look at yours in the sunlight you will be amazed.
    For a small basement you can find a smaller fan. Look up the "Wave" website and find their CFM circulation and judge from that.
    I also put a piece of screen (larger squares than window screen) in the inlet and outlet to keep out bugs and critters.
    I also shut down the system in winter months and stuff a rag in the inlet and a plastic cover (bag) over the outlet. It is not needed in winter.

A large dryer style outlet will work.

Good luck
    LOU

[QUOTE=rgr223cal;209941]I just finished building the home made unit...!!! Let you know in a few days how she does...!!! Wish me luck...!!!

Mike...

Mike
    Nice job.

LOU

Smile Re: wave ventilation

In June I had a Wave system installed in my ranch home for $1500. I am not handy so I didn't dare try to build the system detailed in this forum.

The installer thought our basement door was too nice to cut in a vent so we just leave it open. The late June and July weather was like August. High heat and humidity. The central air ran continuously.

My concern was the cost of electricity for this system and using the air conditioned air. Well, I just received my electric bill and it was about the same as last August where the AC was always on.

AND, my basement is dry and there is no mildew smell. Up until now I used a dehumidifier but it never dried out the basement and there was always a damp like smell. Also it cost about $35-45 a month to run.

So, the bottom line is that the Wave works. I know it was costly, but it works much better than a dehumidifier and uses much, much less electricity.

Could you also post some photos of your house too?? Please, please, please!! I love old houses!

Well, I have to say that the home made system worked wonders for the humidity problems. All of July and August here was very hot and sticky, and by basement stayed nice and dry...!!! As for the slight musty odor, that did not go away. I believe that is because the smell is in what I have stored down there. Otherwise this is an awesome solution to basement humidity problems...!!!

Mike...