+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Default Re: wave ventilation

I am concerned about the neg-pos pressure thing. I have a pulse furnace that takes in fresh air to feed the combustion chamber. Do I need to take precautions exhausting air from my basement? Thanks - Dexter Henschel

Quote Originally Posted by njlou View Post
    Hi

I am back. I cant believe it's been installed for 4 years. So long ago that my pictures are not installed anymore. I have an unfinished basement, an oil burner and a (metal hatch)entry in addition to the interior stairs.

I used a Fantech HP2190 fan. The unit is simply installed on the wall with (2) "L" brackets and hose clamps. Then I used 4"PVC pipe and couplings - see picture. Then out the modified window. The metal bars are security.
    The intake tube is ON the ground. That is where it differs from a radon installation.
    BTW use PVC pipe with holes in it on the floor horizontal section to act as a silencer.

The (intake air) hatch is designed with some large spaces that are overlapped by the cover and provide great ventilation. I use this to establish my flow pattern.
    The fan is on the far side of the hatch and the oil burner is on a far adjacent side of the room. So in effect the oilburner is about 30 ft away from the hatch and the fan - think of a triangle - hatch-oilburner-fan.

Here is a little more than I know.

All installations are different based on the room and the flow pattern. You have to judge the open area that lets air through.
    You also want a long distance to let the air flow through.

I did not use a humidistat since I thought is was like emptying the ocean. When could it ever shut off??
    BTW I shut down the fan in the winter. The humidity is low and the oil burner provides more airflow/heat. Yes I use the oilburner for hot water in the summer.

Yes it is a glorified exhaust fan. The radon fan is rated for 24/7 @20 years. Since I use it only in summer it should last forever. Humidifiers are trash units, cost a ton to buy/run and need to be emptied. AND the air never gets dry since the units are always undersized AND the air is still stinky!!!

Good luck

Sorry it's late to the party, I was looking into a Wave System and doing some research and came across this. I am looking into something to remove the moisture from my basement. I have electric everything, so no worries about back pressure or combustion. The house is brick, built in the late 60's. Currently emptying my 65 pint dehumidifier twice, sometimes three times a day. What options do I have vs. what you were able to build?

Quote Originally Posted by zumma View Post
    I have a stale smell in my basement closet,used a dehumidifier and it worked.heard about a new product from wave home solutions which ventilates in stead of dehumidifies. I had a sales person in my house and he said his product will remove the stale smell and will cost $1700. and will take 15 to 25 days to notice a difference,he also said I have other toxins in my house in which he never used an air quality meter to check. Does anyone know if it really works or has any other information . I don't see any results any where on the computer just the company's own so called results.
    I have had a wave WV-SCBT unit installed for the past year. I purchased direct from manufacturer on Long Island. I hired local company to do the install. I am very happy with the results from using this device. It has removed the "stale" smell and dampness in my basement. If installed correctly, it will draw air from upper levels of the house into lower level and out of the premises. It does require the cutting of a 6" through the wall to vent the air. The company claims that the unit will eliminate radon gas. This is a claim that I have not verified. Overall, I give this product an A+ for removing stale odor an dampness in my basement.
    Last edited by HandyHoosier; 06-30-2014 at 01:22 PM.

Exclamation Re: wave ventilation

I have a Physics and Engineering Degree and much experience with basements on Long Island. The first step to a well maintained basement, is making sure that the landscaping around the house is properly sloped so that rain water and snow melt go away from the house. The second step is to maintain the air in the basement. Keep in mind that warmer air holds more moisture than cooler air. Therefore when warmer air is brought into a space where there are cold surfaces (concrete walls, water pipes, etc…) condensation will form on those surfaces. This moisture is what stimulates the growth of mold and mildew. This mold and mildew creates odors. If you depressurize the basement (by exhausting air to the outside), the air will come in from one of 2 places or both. Outside and/or the upper floors of the house. Ultimately the air comes from outside and on most days when the basement needs dehumidifying the outside air has too much moisture. In a home that does not have Air Conditioning, the air coming through the upper floors will have more moisture from showers, cooking, etc… In a home with Air Conditioning, the air will be dryer, but the humidity is not controllable and the Air Conditioner needs to work harder with the constant introduction of warmer, moist air from outside. Exhausting air is only hiding the smell of the mold and mildew and feeding them more moisture. Here on Long Island we do not have radon gas and our best option is to seal up the basement from the outside air and install a dehumidifier with a gravity drain. I have been using a 30 pint dehumidifier in my basement for years and it works great. My basement is 1870 sq. ft. with half of it finished. It is best to keep the basement humidity below 55%. I used foam insulation to seal off above the foundation. When I had Oil burners for heat and hat water, I installed PVC pipe to bring outside air directly to the burned for combustion. I also installed a Heat Recovery Ventilator for the whole house. I only use the HRV when the outside air is dryer than the basement air.

To Ryan Welsch; Great explanation of the way things work in basements.

I'm not familiar with the Wave unit but if it can sense and compare the humidity levels of the outside and inside air then it could shut the fan off when necessary and eliminate dragging the outside moisture into the basement. I have no idea how sophisticated it is.

Also, for a passive, fresh air vent for use in a furnace room or as make-up air for any exhaust system, I have used a Panasonic FV-GKF32S1 Passive Inlet Vent... FYI.