+ Reply to Thread

Default Painting walls BEFORE installing doors and trip

I'm finishing my basement and I've primed all of my walls. I was planning on completing the painting of the walls first - then painting doors and trim and installing them. I thought this would save time as I don't have to worry so much about masking everything and I can spray just about everything.

This seems to go against what I've seen done. What is the problem with my approach?

Default Re: Painting walls BEFORE installing doors and trip

Nothing, so long as everything gets painted, right? Notes for spraying: Just make sure you wear mask spraying and do it in a place with great ventilation (or outdoors). Spray paint can be highly toxic, containing carcinogenic VOCs. I'd be careful to allow the sprayed items to dry somewhere that does not have a lot of air movement, so you don't get dust settling in the wet paint, too. So keeping them outside while they dry probably isn't a great idea (wind will probably get some gritty stuff from the ground or trees on your paint job) but in a garage or any part of your home that's not occupied for long periods of time and can be closed off to living spaces (to avoid breathing in the offgas as it dries)is a good option.

Default Re: Painting walls BEFORE installing doors and trip

Quote Originally Posted by angrypilot View Post
    I'm finishing my basement and I've primed all of my walls. I was planning on completing the painting of the walls first - then painting doors and trim and installing them. I thought this would save time as I don't have to worry so much about masking everything and I can spray just about everything.

This seems to go against what I've seen done. What is the problem with my approach?
    You can do it as you described but when you install the woodwork you will still need to fill nail holes and touch-up. Usually you need to do a little sanding of the filler. I would also suggest you use an air nailer so you don't ding the surface.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb