+ Reply to Thread

Default Window replacement tool

I need to replace window panes on all wood(fir) windows. The glass is caulked in and has wood stops. I have new stops for the exterior side of the windows so am not concerned about damaging the exterior stops during glass removal. Does anyone have a tried and true removal technique? I have heard that a tool with a metal triangle blade that vibrates works good to cut the caulk. Any advice?

Default Re: Window replacement tool

Kinda sounds like you're talking about a Fein Multi-Master. http://www.feinus.com/

Top right-hand picture shows a sc****r blade which would likely be my choice of weapon for this.

These tools operate basically just like a cast-saw. (think remove cast from broken arm) The blade oscillates back and forth. If the sawblade touches your skin, it won't cut you because your skin moves with it. But it will cut hardwood lickitysplit (if you have sharp blade).

All manner of blades and attachments available, but none of them are cheap from Fein. Different MM kits available and they come with a different assortment of blades, sc****rs, sanding pads, etc...so you can likely get started without purchasing any additional blades. (They have diamond blades for cutting tile and removing grout, yada, yada, yada.)

There are some really nice (better than Fein) blades available from after market sources for subtantially less $$. I've purchased some of these and they are high quality stuff . No regrets.

http://stores.ebay.com/besserklinge

I wouldn't be without my MM even though I shivered a bit over the price. It will do what no other tool can do for you. Reach for it way more often than I thought I would when I bought it. Been a real time and butt-saver for me.

You can Google - Fein MultiMaster - to find various sources to buy the tool and also check out E-Bay for used ones.

PS- A friend of mine runs the local glass shop in town. He's used one for over 20 years to remove automobile windshields and other window work, such as you describe. (special hooked-blade for the autos) His 20+ YO tool is still going strong. I've had mine about 10 years now.

PS again - I see Fein has a sickle putty remover blade. http://www.feinus.com/p/window/glassapps.htm
    Might be helpful, but be careful you don't cut thru the wood. Even the general flat sc****r blade will plunge into wood so caution is in order while cutting/slicing the caulk out.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 08-05-2008 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ****hiller View Post
    These tools operate basically just like a cast-saw. (think remove cast from broken arm) The blade oscillates back and forth. If the sawblade touches your skin, it won't cut you because your skin moves with it.
    I once cut a cast off of my neighbor's ankle with a Dremel tool . Yes , we had a few too many ...

Geez .... there would be a few beads of sweat pouring off my brow .... drinking and Dremeling.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by djohns View Post
    I once cut a cast off of my neighbor's ankle with a Dremel tool . Yes , we had a few too many ...
    No pain, no gain. Git 'er done!

Then again...if you had a few (or more)...might not be any pain anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Geez .... there would be a few beads of sweat pouring off my brow .... drinking and Dremeling.
    Oh my! I thought you was the rugged type. Fern bar, huh?

Oh my! I thought you was the rugged type
    I am .... still a few beads of sweat though .... well one more sip before getting started ... just a wee nip of courage.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    I am .... still a few beads of sweat though .... well one more sip before getting started ... just a wee nip of courage.
    I understand. Use a MM instead. No need of extra nips then. Afterall, the more ya nip, the thinner the blood.