+ Reply to Thread

Question Blueboard with Plaster for Tile Backing in Shower & Hairline Cracks in Grout

About a month back, we had a contractor gut a bathroom and fully remodel. We installed a shower with a fiberglass shower pan and tiled walls. I believe (but am not 100% certain) that the tile was backed with blueboard coated with plaster. And, not with cement board...

I have seen many threads on this question and understand that cement board is absolutely the best choice. However, I cannot fully understand from these threads if blueboard with plaster is ok or not? And, I cannot understand the difference between blueboard and greenboard?

With the shower complete at this point in time I want to make sure I am not overlooking something that is going to creep up in a couple of years as a major problem. Any thoughts?

We are just completing other projects in the house with the same contractor. And, I am noticing small hairline cracks in the grout in the lower shower tiles. We sealed the bathroom floor tile but not the shower tile. Are there any recommendations for what to do about the hairline cracks? At this point, should we reapir the hairline cracks and seal the wall tile grout, as well?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Default Re: Blueboard with Plaster for Tile Backing in Shower & Hairline Cracks in Grout

Quote Originally Posted by dwinch1 View Post
    About a month back, we had a contractor gut a bathroom and fully remodel. We installed a shower with a fiberglass shower pan and tiled walls. I believe (but am not 100% certain) that the tile was backed with blueboard coated with plaster. And, not with cement board...

I have seen many threads on this question and understand that cement board is absolutely the best choice. However, I cannot fully understand from these threads if blueboard with plaster is ok or not? And, I cannot understand the difference between blueboard and greenboard?

With the shower complete at this point in time I want to make sure I am not overlooking something that is going to creep up in a couple of years as a major problem. Any thoughts?

We are just completing other projects in the house with the same contractor. And, I am noticing small hairline cracks in the grout in the lower shower tiles. We sealed the bathroom floor tile but not the shower tile. Are there any recommendations for what to do about the hairline cracks? At this point, should we reapir the hairline cracks and seal the wall tile grout, as well?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.
    I will stick with the areas of my knowledge. the difference between blue board and green board is blue board has been treated with alum which helps the plaster adhear to the board. Green board also called moisture resistant board is just that it is used in semi wet locations because it supposedly is moisture resistant. It is important to note that it is not water resistant, and has been used mainly in restroom behind the camode and sink where the drywall might get water splashed on it. but it was never designed to be where the rock could get WET though it had been used in showers behind tile for several years these usually have ended up being ripped out and replaced because it just doesn't hold up in those locations in the long run. and code in many places now forbids it to be used in shower or bath locations.

Default Re: Blueboard with Plaster for Tile Backing in Shower & Hairline Cracks in Grout

Thank you. Yes, I appreciate your inputs. Yes, greenboard certainly does seem to have been a problem. I am not sure if it is the same with blueboard and plaster behind shower tiles...

Quote Originally Posted by dwinch1 View Post
    Thank you. Yes, I appreciate your inputs. Yes, greenboard certainly does seem to have been a problem. I am not sure if it is the same with blueboard and plaster behind shower tiles...
    On that part I couldn't say because they used to use green board behind tile in showers and baths around here and then went to cement board. in this part of the country they haven't used blueboard in the shower or tub areas. I should have also noted on my other post that green board is finished as regular drywall not a plaster board, but I'm assuming you already understood that. around here now in the bath rooms they are going with the new paperless drywall on wet walls (behind sinks and camodes) and still cement boards for tubs and showers. they really hardly use green board around here much at all.

Ok, thank you that does make sense.

It will be interesting to see if there are any more inputs on blueboard with plaster behind shower tiles. And, any inputs on the hairline crack repair in the grout...