+ Reply to Thread

Default Repairing dry rot in deck posts

I have a walk out basement with a covered screened in deck on the upper level. The 3 support posts have developed dry rot and removing the entire post is not an option. These posts run the entire hight of the deck, around 20 feet. I also need to redo the concrete support posts below each post. I was thinking of renting a post jack used to jack up decks and lift the deck just enough to cut out the dry rot and dig up and replace the concrete posts. My question is what is the best method to join the spliced in piece with the old posts. I figured to just cut up far enough to remove the dry rot then either butt join the 2 sections and use steel plates to join or use an overlapping joint between the 2.

What method is best and what do I need to consider when jacking up a deck to repair posts and concrete support? What kind of concrete should I use, add rebar? How long should I let the concrete cure before setting deck back down on it?

Thanks. I am just a little nervous jacking up a deck and leaving it that way a few days while I do the work.

Default Re: Repairing dry rot in deck posts

The support posts run from the ground up and support the deck and the roof above the deck. Each one is about 20 ft long. The deck is covered by a rood that is also attached to the house roof. Also in the interest of keeping costs down I was hopeing to just cut out the dry rot at the bottom and join in a new piece. Maybe a lap joint? I watched Tom Silva do a lap joint in a barn project. Wonder if that would work in my case

I will try and get a phot attached later today.

Thanks

Here is a phot of my deck. There are several problems that I need to correct. The previous owner had the deck built but not sure the person who did it knew what he was doing. First off the post sit right on the concrete support pad, reason for dry rot. Second the posts sit on the outside edge of the concrete posts and I am afraid they will snap sometime down the road, reason to replace the concrete posts. As you can see the cedar posts run from the ground up to the roof. The dry rot is only in the bottom of each post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DECK.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	1493  

Thanks, that does help. I am just a little nervous in jacking up a deck of this size and want to make sure that the method is not going to create problems down the road or worse yet, cause teh deck to fall pulling off the back of my house

I had thought of going to 8x8 posts since the ones there are 6x6. I too find it strange that they used one long post instead of the way you said but hey, they stood the post directly on the support concrete and did not center the concrete under the posts, go figure.

Thanks for you help.

I may have missed it but how would you connect the new post with the old since they will just be butt joined?

Thanks

I would use a lap joint, though bolted, to keep the posts together. And would probably use steel plates on the sides of the lap joint spanning the length of the joint to the solid part of the post on either side of the joint.