+ Reply to Thread

Default Removal of linoleum flooring for ceramic tiles

We are remodeling our basement by replacing the linoleum flooring with ceramic tiles. The linoleum is glued to the cement floor. What's the best way to remove the linoleum? The glue? Do we need a subfloor or can the tile be placed right on the cement? If it can be placed right on the cement, does the cement need to be totally clean of glue, etc. for the ceramic tile to adhere? Lots of questions, I know Thank you!!

Default Re: Removal of linoleum flooring for ceramic tiles

I can answer a few of those questions. The old vinyl can be removed with a vinyl stripping tool, either a manual or power operated. If you've got more than about a 10x10 area I'd recommend a combination of a manual knife sc****r and a power tool (talk with a rental yard ). Residual glue isn't a problem if your going to use mastic to glue down the new tile, however you'll need to clean the floor a little better if you're going to use Thinset (cement based "glue" ). Other than scraping the old glue up, I'm not sure what else could be used to clean the surface. No underlayment is necessary when tiling over a slab, however if there are any cracks, you're going to want to install an isolation barrier to keep those cracks from telegraphing through the tile.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thank you!

If it's a small area like a bath ,go buy a hand floor sc****r and be sure to buy extra blades.
    A key is to make sure the blade remains sharp. The sc****r is actually cutting the glue
    away from the concrete under the flooring....