+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy removing dried glue on wallboard

I'm new to all this. I have removed paneling that was glued to wallboard and the glue is all dried up on the wall. How do I remove that glue without damaging the wallboard?

Default Re: removing dried glue on wallboard

It's just not going to happen. Not only will you not be able to remove all of the glue, you won't be able to do it without some level of damage. What you need to do is just use care and caution during the removal process to minimize the damage, then the walls will be skim coated with drywall compound until smooth. From here, you can decide whether add texture or leave the walls smooth. It would be best to prime then paint the walls, even if you plan to install wall paper.

As far as tools required, a 6" putty knife will probably be the fastest, however the smaller the implement the more control which equals less damage. Alternatives would be to use a sc****r tool such as this:

You can sharpen the edge as necessary with a belt sander or hand file.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: removing dried glue on wallboard

Quote Originally Posted by asc2078 View Post
    Take a solvent like lacquer thinner and put it in a small spray bottle. Spray it on the glue and see if it will soften it enough to sc**** it off without so much damage to the drywall. You don't have much to loose by trying it, as the surface is damaged anyway. Make sure there are no flames and the place is well ventilated.
    The problem is the residue left behind by the petroleum distillate will cause paint problems later.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!