+ Reply to Thread

Default Motion Sensing Light Socket

About a year ago I installed 3 motion sensing light sockets above each landing in my multi-family house. The light goes on with motion and turns off after 4 minutes. Here is the link if anybody is interested ( http://www.gadgetgrid.com/2007/10/25...-light-socket/ ). They install directly into an existing light socket. All three are daisy chained together on the same ckt braker. I'm having trouble with one of them. When the light bulb blows it seems to affect the sensing light socket. After replacing the bulb, the light will not go out. The trouble shooting guide tells me to shut off the comercial power to the socket and the device will reset itself but that doesn't work. I've replaced the unit once already and do not want to spend another 30 bucks. Any ideas?

Default Re: Motion Sensing Light Socket

A couple of thoughts...

First and foremost... I'm not a big fan of First Alert products. They generally take a pretty good idea and market it as if it will end world hunger and keep all children safe from harm. Their products are somewhat usable but are more marketing than substance. I won't go into details but this opinion comes from personal experience.

I looked up this motion sensor and found many bad reviews, some with problems similar to yours. First, since you have multiple units, try swapping the flaky unit with one from another area that seems to be working and see if the problem follows the unit or stays with the location.

According to the manual for this device
    you cannot use bulbs over 100W, cannot be closer than 12 inches to a wall, and should not be near heat sources. Any motion sensor can be affected by nearby heat sources so it's possible the unit is functioning "properly" but just getting a false reading because of it's location. So see if you can rule out those issues. Oh and I assume you are using a standard incandescent bulb and not a CF. Your problem doesn't indicate this but you cannot use these with CF bulbs.

If none of those suggestions solve the problem you might see if the light fixture is the problem. If you try the swap mentioned above, and the problem stays in the same location, the light socket may be bad or possibly is not making a good connection with the screw in sensor. There is likely a metal tab inside the socket that you can slightly lift up (with the breaker off of course) to make a better contact. Or if feasible, replace the fixture.

If all this fails you may want to exercise your warranty to get another replacement unit from the manufacturer and/or return them to where you purchased them and find another solution.

Good luck.

Thanks XYXYXY for your thoughts on the sensor. I did move it to another socket and the problem follows. Which proves it is the sensor itself, not the socket. None of the other qualifications as far as location should be a factor. Any idea if there is a more reliable brand to look at?

Quote Originally Posted by scmkcm View Post
    Thanks XYXYXY for your thoughts on the sensor. I did move it to another socket and the problem follows. Which proves it is the sensor itself, not the socket. None of the other qualifications as far as location should be a factor. Any idea if there is a more reliable brand to look at?
    I don't know of anything similar that would be any better... and I too would have some reservations about the use of a bare bulb hanging overhead etc. Not to mention the way it looks.

Is it too late to get your money back on one or more of these?

How about replacing with something like this?
    Leviton Wall mounted Occupancy Sensor
    That would allow you to use any light fixture you want.

Thanks for the advice guys.