+ Reply to Thread

Default Outdoor Water Leak

Hi all experts,

Recently I've seen lots of water in my front yard, though it's not much rain lately. After troubleshooting and research, it's seemed to be a leak in the water pipe from the street to the house. Who is responsible for this (City or homeowner)? I've attempted to dig, but w/o knowing where the pipe is (not mentioning the leak), it's almost impossible to dig the whole yard. Is there any tools or anything that can narrow down where the water line is located and possibly where he leak is? I am at lost at this time since calling profession costs way too much (> $4K) and I just moved in 3 months ago :~(. Can anyone shed any lights and point me to the right direction on how to tackle this?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Default Re: Outdoor Water Leak

It might be in your best interest to make a call to your local water untility to answer those specifics.

In some areas the water utility is responcible for the line to the house and others the responcibility is on the homeowner from the house to the street.... depends where the meter is as well.

If the line outside the home does have a leak the water supply will need shutoff for repair of the line.

The water utility may also be the only ones to shut the water off at the distribution shutoff valve .... depends .... some places allow plumbers to have their own key for the shutoff.

They would also be able to locate the line and tell you how far down it likely is.

Hope this helps.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    It might be in your best interest to make a call to your local water untility to answer those specifics.

In some areas the water utility is responcible for the line to the house and others the responcibility is on the homeowner from the house to the street.... depends where the meter is as well.

If the line outside the home does have a leak the water supply will need shutoff for repair of the line.

The water utility may also be the only ones to shut the water off at the distribution shutoff valve .... depends .... some places allow plumbers to have their own key for the shutoff.

They would also be able to locate the line and tell you how far down it likely is.

Hope this helps.
    wait yuk might recommend a divining rod

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    LOL ... the divine one.
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post

Hope this helps.
    I called the city twice and they said there's nothing they can do. It's not their responsibility unless it's on the street. It looks like I have to hire professional or dig myself

Sounds like you got the unfortunate answer to the responciblity part.

As far as locating the water line you might try calling the "Call Before You Dig" or Dig Safe" or whatever agency that comes out to locate and mark utilities.... which wouldn't hurt to do anyway.

You may be able to make a deal with a contractor that you dig down to the line and he does the repair... this will save some $$$ if you don't mind the digging part.
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    That's not as far fetched as you might think. Turning on an outside hose so that water if flowing, a divining rod will find the pipe within reasonable accuracy. The great thing is that it doesn't take any money or experience or engineering expertise to make or use one.

Simply straighten out a 2 foot length of wire coat hanger (any stiff wire will do ), mark it 6 inches from one end and bend it at that mark to a 90 degree angle. This forms the handle of the rod. Make a loose fist around the handle, with your arm straight down your side, crook your elbow at 90 degrees and hold the rod parallel to the ground. Now walk back and forth across the main shut off at the street (known location ) to get familiar with holding the rod and watching it's movements. Once you get the hang of it, move into the yard and work your way from the street main to the house main, dropping a marker every few feet along the way. Go back to the general location of the leak and you should have your point to within a foot of the actual location of the water line. From there it's only a matter of uncovering the pipe and locating the point of the leak.

20 years on the ranch weren't wasted on this hayseed!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!