+ Reply to Thread

Default best wood putty/fill to drill for cabinet door hardware?

My cabinet door pulled off with one hinge attached that ripped out some of the wood cabinet. I need to fill it (it FORTUNATELY is on the inside so does not need to match) so that I can drill and replace the hardware. What is the BEST product known to man for this job?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by dobee; 08-04-2008 at 03:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: best wood putty/fill to drill for cabinet door hardware?

If the problem is simply a stripped screw hole, then the simplest course of action is wood glue and wood toothpicks. Dip the end of several toothpicks in the glue, then tap them gently into the hole until the hole is filled. Cut flush to the wood surface with a utility knife, and let the glue cure (10 to 15 minutes ). Reinstall the hinge, predrill the screw hole slightly smaller than the diameter of the screw shank (the portion at the base of the thread "V" ) and install screw.

If the hole has been seriously buggered, then drill out the hole to accept a piece of dowel, glue the dowel in place, then predrill and install the hardware.

Word of caution with dowel. American made dowel is the only stuff you'll find that is actual SAE in dimension (i.e. 1/4", 3/8", etc. ). The stuff you find at your local box store is going to be imported and metric, regardless of what the shelf sticker says. The reason that this is important is for drilling the proper sized hole to fit the dowel. If it's the dowel is American made, use standard drill bits, if it's imported, it's going to be metric and you'll need to use metric drill bits for a snug fit (unless you've got a 100 piece SAE drill set, then you'll find a fractional bit that will work. )
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Sometimes a wood golf tee will work as well ... depends.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Sometimes a wood golf tee will work as well ... depends.
    Sure, if you play golf!

You're right though.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Hi Spruce,

Just curious what do you mean by (the portion at the base of the thread "V" )-----what does "V" mean????