+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default French Drain Near Basement

We have a sub-surface water issue as the neighboring plot is 2ft higher than us and our driveway inbetween is level. Basically we have our house, about 2 ft then a 13ft driveway then the neigbor, so their water runs straight down onto our land. We are going to grade and surface the driveway but I am thinking we may need a drain to intercept sub-surface water before it comes up against our basement wall. I am nervous to have a french drain within 2 ft of the basement wall because I have read that they can clog. Any suggestions on a solution or experience with french drains?

Default Re: French Drain Near Basement

CTURNER:

There are 4 or 5 issues that come to mind as I read your post---any photos you can post would be a great help:

1) your neighbor is not allowed to permit rain runoff from his property onto your property.

2) I'm not sure a french drain (with all its heavy digging & expense) is the answer.

3) some type of raised flower or shrub bed, fence, or low concrete wall in conjunction with the driveway work may be the solution.

4) does your neighbor have a finished driveway where he can route his water runoff to the street---have you talked to him about this---is he cooperative????

5) have you consulted any experts or contractors as to the solution they suggest.

This sounds like the problem could to a large extent be caused by your neighbor's negligence, or simply his unwillingness to deal with it ---but rather than start a blood feud try to talk to him/her to arrange a workable solution.

If he doesn't want to hear it, I would suggest getting the opinion of fence & wall contractors, or the contractor who will be doing your driveway work---they almost always can suggest a solution that will work & at the same time maintain the peace between neighbors.
    Last edited by JacktheShack; 08-04-2008 at 03:48 PM.

Default Re: French Drain Near Basement

Quote Originally Posted by JacktheShack View Post
    CTURNER:

There are 4 or 5 issues that come to mind as I read your post---any photos you can post would be a great help:

1) your neighbor is not allowed to permit rain runoff from his property onto your property.

2) I'm not sure a french drain (with all its heavy digging & expense) is the answer.

3) some type of raised flower or shrub bed, fence, or low concrete wall in conjunction with the driveway work may be the solution.

4) does your neighbor have a finished driveway where he can route his water runoff to the street---have you talked to him about this---is he cooperative????

5) have you consulted any experts or contractors as to the solution they suggest.

This sounds like the problem could to a large extent be caused by your neighbor's negligence, or simply his unwillingness to deal with it ---but rather than start a blood feud try to talk to him/her to arrange a workable solution.

If he doesn't want to hear it, I would suggest getting the opinion of fence & wall contractors, or the contractor who will be doing your driveway work---they almost always can suggest a solution that will work & at the same time maintain the peace between neighbors.
    Thanks for response - your point about neighbor well taken and will follow up on that. Will also try to post a picture as my desc lacks some clarity! On the border with this neighbor we only have our driveway, theirs is on the other side. So from our basement there is 2ft. then our 13 ft wide driveway then about 12 ft of their lawn sloping up about 2 ft to their basement wall. Only directions they can direct their downspouts is front and back rather than sideways towards us!